Covid and diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanR76

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Is there a link between covid and new type 2 diabetes referrals. Is the NHS becoming overloaded?

No idea but I know that children and young adults who gave had Covid are more likely to develop Type I. I imagine weight gain and lack of exercise during lock downs could have caused an increase in Type II cases. At physio I have met quite a few Type II amputees and some sadly smoke or vape!

Is there a link between covid and new type 2 diabetes referrals. Is the NHS becoming overloaded?
More likely people are getting sick and getting tested so the abysmal state of the nation's health is becoming more apparent?

No idea but I know that children and young adults who gave had Covid are more likely to develop Type I. I imagine weight gain and lack of exercise during lock downs could have caused an increase in Type II cases. At physio I have met quite a few Type II amputees and some sadly smoke or vape!
I was newly diagnosed with type 2 - 2 weeks ago and have to wait 4 weeks to see a diabetic nurse.
I asked the Microsoft Bing Chat Bot if there was a link to covid. It suggested that the link was well established.

I think there are two questions there.

1. Is there a link between infection with sarscov2 and diabetes diagnosis?

2. Is there a link between the symptomatic disease covid19 and diabetes diagnosis.
I am surprised that the issue is not more in the news. Large increases in new diagnosis either by lifestyle or covid infection must be overloading the NHS.

I think there are two questions there.

1. Is there a link between infection with sarscov2 and diabetes diagnosis?

2. Is there a link between the symptomatic disease covid19 and diabetes diagnosis.

I am surprised that the issue is not more in the news. Large increases in new diagnosis either by lifestyle or covid infection must be overloading the NHS.
But as the NHS usually prescribes metformin and tells the newly diagnosed to "lose weight" I doubt it would overload most surgeries?

There are thousands of undiagnosed type 2 diabetics, perhaps millions. So, if people seek help for covid, no doubt they may be finally diagnosed with any hidden diabetes.

There’s been an increase in both types of diabetes from the reports I’ve seen.

Is that undiagnosed cases being found as a result of infection/illness or is it covid hastening already developing cases or is it totally instigated by covid? The reports simply don’t specify so it’s speculation in most cases unless prior to covid diabetes testing had been done. Some cases seem to be transitory other more typically ongoing.

It would depend on how large the increase was. And given that often the initial response is to advise on dietary and other lifestyle changes, that wouldn't cause a big problem.

I don't think the increase has been reported to be particularly large, has it? And the increase in risk of Type 1 is similarly not thought to be that big, I think. (Probably significant, and I'd still recommend everyone who can get a vaccine to take it, very much including children. But very likely not the kind of rise that would be particularly obvious unless you looked for it or you happened to be a clinician working in that area.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back