Covid and control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshine81

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Evening peeps, so tested positive for COVID yesterday. Had symptoms for 5 days before testing and sugar control been ok until today. Finger prick 14.4 ketones 0.4. On basal bolus regime. Just wondering how much should I be fighting to get my levels down, as I know COVID makes people's sugar levels misbehave and I don't want to go mad with lots of corrections and then hypo overnight.

In my experience, high levels exaggerate any illness symptoms and any illness symptoms push my levels up. Therefore, for me, it is very important to get my levels down. Even on a healthy day, a reading of 14 can make me feel lousy so, with covid, I’d be trying harder to get levels down.
The other thing to remember is, when our levels are higher, we become insulin resistant so we need more insulin to correct.

The other thing to check is ketones. These can happen when levels are high but, with covid, they can happen at lower levels.

I hope your symptoms are not too bad and you get better soon.

Thanks @helli , didn't know about more likely to have ketones at a lower sugar level. Will see if I can get it down. If my levels remain high, will I need to check for ketones every few hours?

I would @Sunshine81 It’s a pain but worth it. Even if there are no ketones at least that will be a reassurance and that’s worth testing too IMO.

I hope you feel better soon. Take it easy. I found rest helped me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back