Not open for further replies.

Karen999

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hello
I'm having a bit of a flap
I've just got back my Hbac1 blood results and I'm diet controlled back into prediabetic numbers gone from 58 to 46 . but ive got covid at the moment and im getting bg test strip results in the 14s ive never had this. can anyone relate and do you think it'll correct its self when im well??? when its this high im scared to eat

It's likely to be the covid, there was a thread this morning with the a link to 42 things that are known to increase Blood levels.

I've had Covid twice and one was a month or so before a Hba1c test, which was higher than usual, but by the time I was told about it, I was back to normal - that was a year later.
I suspect that - from the number of people being diagnosed after Covid, it affects blood glucose during the illness, and for some time to come, but for some at least it seems to fade with time.
I am beginning to perk up a bit now, but it has taken some months to get over the last bout of Covid. I have to accept that, at the age of 71 I am in some danger of getting old. The few days I was unwell were not the problem, it was surfacing again afterwards.

Many congratulations on your HbA1c reduction.
Really sorry to hear you have Covid and your levels have risen. It is important to drink plenty of fluids (obviously low carb/calorie) to help flush the excess glucose out through your kidneys. Do you have any means of testing for ketones? Ketostix can be bought over the counter at most pharmacies for about a fiver if you can find someone to get some for you. Type 2 diabetics are much less likely to develop ketones but Covid is a bit of an unknown factor in this. Generally when you levels are persistently running at 14 or above you would be advised to check for ketones and if you see levels increasing to above 1 then it would be wise to seek medical advice.
Hope the virus passes quickly and you are back to normal soon, but it is quite difficult for any of us to predict how someone will respond. If you are concerned at all, seek medical advice and certainly come back to the forum for updates and support.

Had covid 4 weeks ago, just took paracetamol & got on with things, made sure to get outside loads for long walks in fresh air.

Many congratulations on your HbA1c reduction.
Really sorry to hear you have Covid and your levels have risen. It is important to drink plenty of fluids (obviously low carb/calorie) to help flush the excess glucose out through your kidneys. Do you have any means of testing for ketones? Ketostix can be bought over the counter at most pharmacies for about a fiver if you can find someone to get some for you. Type 2 diabetics are much less likely to develop ketones but Covid is a bit of an unknown factor in this. Generally when you levels are persistently running at 14 or above you would be advised to check for ketones and if you see levels increasing to above 1 then it would be wise to seek medical advice.
Hope the virus passes quickly and you are back to normal soon, but it is quite difficult for any of us to predict how someone will respond. If you are concerned at all, seek medical advice and certainly come back to the forum for updates and support.
Thanks I've never considered checking ketones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back