couple of questions re insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

caroleann

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Im levemir and novorapid now the thing is hubby is sure he heard the nurse say leave 4 hrs between each injection of novo but i did'nt hear so have been looking up to see what it says but can't find anything is this right, which leads me to next question,why am i so blooming hungry all the time ,im not giving in to the hunger im just riding through it and im being very carefull with my portion sizes too.
carole

I can answer one of your questions, yes you do have to leave 4 hours between novorapid injections. I seem to remeber my son being hungry all the time when he was first diagnosed, but not sure why. A lot of the forum are in Birmingham today at their event, so I'm sure someone will be along tomorrow to anser in more detail.

Thankyou for that at least i know i definatly have to wait a bit longer for my dinner,im starving:D

it simply means that , novorapid stays in your sysem for aprox 4 hours and if you eat and take more you need 2 take into account that the last lot is still working in your system , you can re inject before 4 hours especially when carb counting an suffer no adverse effects
hope this helps 🙂

I often have breakfast a bit late (maybe gone 9am 😱) and dinner is normally around 12.30, so likewise not 4 hours. I'm on Humalog but I think the profiles are similar.

When you feel hypo (or at least for me) you can get a feeling of real hunger. Could be that your BG is coming down to normal levels or slightly low and you're feeling the hunger instead of being high all the time. Maybe :confused:

Rob

I'm told Novarapid lasts up to 4 hours (and peaks at 2 hours) but it varies with each person (like everything else with D :( ) We have gotten away with 3 hours between injections but as other have said you do have to beware of hypo's
My daughter was very very hungry when she first went onto Novarapid but then she was seriously underweight due to ketosis. She ate bucket loads of cheese! Some people do end up 'feeding the insulin', i hear, so if you arent underweight i would try filling up on salads and veg if you can. K also ate loads of sugar free jelly to fill her up (you can get the ready made single serving pots)

The 4 hours is the adverage duration peaking at around the 2 hour mark, but this can slightly differ between people..

At the 2 hour mark you've used about 80% of the insulin, so you need to take this into consideration when calculating for injection to cover carbs if eating before 4 hours..

Sometimes if the BG's are running high then this increases hunger, because the body isn't able to use the carbs/glucose probably so it's requesting more supplies so signals hunger to get it..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back