couple of q's causing me to worry

Status
Not open for further replies.

bex123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
hi not long to go now 😱 just a week and a bit till pump start , i know thier gonna cover every thing at the pump start course but im getting nervous and have a couple of questions that have been bugging me.:confused:

no1) what do you do with the pump when you want to have a bath or shower, and if you can disconnect it does it affect the canula getting it soggy?

no2)if you are hypo can u stop the pump temoraraly till your b.s goes up , or is it different with diferent pumps?

the hypo one is probably the one that worries me most, thanks in advance🙂

couple of q's causing me to worry
hi not long to go now just a week and a bit till pump start , i know thier gonna cover every thing at the pump start course but im getting nervous and have a couple of questions that have been bugging me.

no1) what do you do with the pump when you want to have a bath or shower, and if you can disconnect it does it affect the canula getting it soggy?
Yes, it's easy to disconnect the pump. For a shower or bath I don't stop the pump but if I'm going to be longer, as for swimming, then I do stop it. There's a little cap that you can put over the 'opening' to the canula. (actually more necessary for a bath than a shower) The 'plaster' part is very waterproof and it stands swimming for long periods. If you've been disconnected a long time you reprime the canula (fill it up with a small amount of insulin)Some people also need to give a small bolus to make up for what they missed whilst disconnected, I don't because any sort of water seems to lower my levels! (If I were a mermaid, I don't think I'd need any insulin at all😉 )
no2)if you are hypo can u stop the pump temoraraly till your b.s goes up , or is it different with diferent pumps?
Yes, if necessary and I've shown my OH how to do this if I ever had a hypo that caused me to pass out. Normally I treat and especially at night set a lower temporary basal rate for a couple of hours.

the hypo one is probably the one that worries me most, thanks in advance

wow thanks!! , that coverd all the bases 🙂 excelent info , its times like this i love this place 🙂

Always check with your team first, but I was told not to stop the pump or lower the basal for a general hypo.

Reason being that the basal you put in now affects your levels approx 1-2 hours later, not immediately. So once you have treated the hypo you still need that basal.

The only time i lower, or temp basal rate is if i need to up it (if ill for example), or if ive done a lot of exercise as I know I wont need as much. However, I do have a seperate basal rate for when excercising. You will learn all about everything so dont worry and good luck!

Hi Bex123! Great to see another person is about to start pumping!

I know HelenM and Tracey have already answered so I thought I would throw into the mix as well- the more the merrier!

What pump are you getting?

hi not long to go now 😱 just a week and a bit till pump start , i know thier gonna cover every thing at the pump start course but im getting nervous and have a couple of questions that have been bugging me.:confused:

With the medtronic that I use you can simply twist and disconnect to shower or bath. There is a little cover that you can pop on. Only once has my canula fallen out from getting too soggy, and that might have been my doing anyway (sometimes I forget where I have moved it too and scrub over it!), but bathing isnt a problem. Some people are concerned that they will forget to reconnect afterwards but if you feel that might be you in the start then you can set an alarm. Handy hey? 😉

the hypo one is probably the one that worries me most, thanks in advance🙂

Like Tracey, I was told not to disconnect. The reason I was given was that the amount driping in really isnt going to make much difference. Afterall, it is just background like what you would have had on MDI still in your system anyway. I have followed that advice. Also I wouldnt like to fiddle with it while hypo anyway, just incase of error. Probably best to go with whatever your team advocate- you will soon discover what works best for you. Like HelenM, I have advised my partner also. Ive told him not fiddle with it. If I pass out, he can always cut the line with scissors, its just an ordinary giving set and can be easily replaced....however, Ive told him if he loses the pump the pays the consequences! Id rather it be attached for that reason alone!

All the very best in luck. If you want to chat about anything just post or drop a PM. GOOD LUCK!

Lou

The medtronic veo's are now waterproof apparantly although I've never tried it. The sensors are definately waterproof tried and tested.
You can reduce basal by a 100% and increase by 100% You can also suspend the pump, there is still left over basal in you for at least an hour. If my son is 5 at bedtime 11-12am instead of waking him I do a 80% basal for 2 hours and check him at 3am, it always does the trick.
I was also told of my nurse last week that you do not have to follow up with a snack after a hypo. Glucose tabs will bring u up to where u need to be and then u should stay level. I don't know how true this is cause Harry normally gets hungry when he hypos anyway.
You can also see your daily totals (press act on the day) which shows you how many carbs you've had that day and the percentage of basal to bolus given. What insulin was food and correction what was just correction etc.

Simone, Ive never dared to try it either! My DSN says treat it as splash proof only!

im not involved in any of this personnally but just wanted to say ..good luck bex ...xx🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back