Counterfeit needles and Pen recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasha1

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi All,

Today I received a copy of the Link up Magazine, for parents of children with diabetes...Now its issued by DUK...sorry to mention...But it has to warnings in...and I thought I might post them here..just in case it affects anyone else.

COUNTERFEIT NEEDLES:

A small number of counterfeit Novafine needles have been discovered in the UK, warn Novo Nordisk and the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency.
The counterfeit needles are size Fine 31g x 6mm. They have the batch number 08j02s and expiry date 08/2013. They are not made by Novo Nordisk, the manufacturer of NovoFine Needles.
Novo Nordisk says the counterfeit needles would most likely only cause minor side effects, such as skin reactions around the injection site.
If you think your child has a counterfeit needle, you should contact your pharamacy or Novo Nordisk UK immediately on 08456005055.

PEN RECALL:

The Owen Mumford Autopen Classic (1 unit 3ml), 1-21 units is being recalled after the manufacturers warned that the affected devices, specifically for use with Eli Lilly and Wockhardt UK insulin cartridges, may fail to dispense insulin correctly. The product code is AN3810 and only lots CJF, DBR, DEX, DMP, DND, BRG, and CCW are affected. They have been supplied in the UK since Feb 2008.
Insulin pen users need to make sure they prime there device prior to use. If your childs pen fails to prime, contact their nurse, doctor or pharmacist for advice and seek a replacement.

Hope this helps

Heidi
xx🙂

I think these warnings came out some months ago - I remember checking my needles as I use that type, and also the pen, although I think the Classic is a levemir rather than a lantus pen (Autopen 24). Perhaps some more have cropped up.

I think these warnings came out some months ago - I remember checking my needles as I use that type, and also the pen, although I think the Classic is a levemir rather than a lantus pen (Autopen 24). Perhaps some more have cropped up.

Hi Northerner,

I seem to recall reading something about these warning before..but was'nt sure if they were repeated of new. But just in case they were new and people were'nt aware of them...I thought it might be a good idea to post them up.

Heidi
🙂

great idea heidi always good to put things up like this , always a use for some one x

great idea heidi always good to put things up like this , always a use for some one x

Certainly - not everyone might have seen them before, and you could have those things for months or years even. Those Owen Mumford pens have always felt a bit ropey to me - much prefer my novopen 3! Never understood why they'd want to counterfeit needles though - what a bizarre thing to do, unless you had a really huge order.:confused:

I think it did happen a while back but if my memory serves me correctly (which is rare!!) this batch number is different, so thanks Heidi, I'm getting a supply soon so will be checking the numbers! And it's bound to happen again and again! There's some right sorts out there who'll never give up!

Certainly - not everyone might have seen them before, and you could have those things for months or years even. Those Owen Mumford pens have always felt a bit ropey to me - much prefer my novopen 3! Never understood why they'd want to counterfeit needles though - what a bizarre thing to do, unless you had a really huge order.:confused:

Hiya,

Nathan uses the Nova pen too....he has the Lantus Solostar for night...he was'nt to keen on that a first though.

Yeah I've seen the autopen....looked quiet fierce...not keen at all on that device.

It is bizzare to counterfeit needles....:confused:...unless they were not intended for our market and got mixed up??

If I ever get any more warnings etc..I will always post them up.

Heidi
🙂

Thanks Heidi , you are a star !! 🙂🙂 Ive checked my needles , phew they are legit , well i do live in Liverpool so if anyone was to have dodgy ripoff ones it would be me first lol 🙄🙄

It is always good to have the warnings, someone is sure to use the items you mention. The least that us likely to happen is the user will be ill and that is not good.

I'd say to everyone who has this kind of information, always post it as someone will be able to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back