Councils putting stricter time limits on elderly care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Most councils are imposing unreasonably short time limits on care for the elderly at home, according to the UK Homecare Association.

In a survey, it found that an estimated 75% of councils expected carers to complete visits to elderly people in less than half an hour.

Ten per cent imposed time limits of 15 minutes.

The Association of Directors of Adult Social Services said it illustrated the financial pressures on the system.

Around 640,000 carers visit people in their homes across the UK on a daily basis, helping them with basic tasks like dressing, washing, and heating up meals.

But as budgets tighten, increasing numbers are being told to clockwatch; having time limits set on visits.

In its survey, the UK Homecare Association heard from 739 companies providing care at people's homes, representing 90% of all local authority areas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18347303

Does this worry anyone else - as we (diabetics) all get older and haven't died aged 40 after all?

I must admit in any event it's ridiculous - said this to husband yesterday. last week daughter (aged 41, she's a granny LOL) came a few days after she'd had a shoulder op. It was stinking hot and thundery. Hence sweaty.

I said to her as soon as I saw her, can you get it wet? - No. Shall I help you have a bath then and I'll wash your hair for you? Purrlease!

Took a good 40 minutes. With 3 able limbs and 'nothing doddery' no frailty and obviously zilcho confusion. Most of her I didn't even have to help dry.

Try doing that with someone elderly/disabled/frail/confused.........

Makes me seriously want to question whether we should be bothering to control our BP and cholesterol, really ......

...Makes me seriously want to question whether we should be bothering to control our BP and cholesterol, really ......

It's a point made by the excellent Tony Copperfield in his book Sick Notes - the more people we save into older and older age, the less resources we have to take care of them all, better to let some of them enjoy their lives then keel over a bit sooner, and save the NHS some money! 😱

Well I can't say I like it .... BUT ....... :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back