Couldn't believe what I was reading!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've just read about a 'cure' for diabetes (and myriad other diseases, including cancer). The 'cure' is this: drink hydrogen peroxide! Right, forget the metformin, insulin etc., just drink bleach! 😱 I'm absolutely horrified that people can make a living from flogging this potentially fatal 'treatment' or 'therapy'!!!

Of course, there are disclaimers, and the 'therapy' involves heavy dilution, but what if mistakes are made? I won't publish the link here as I don't want to give the person any publicity.

I used to use hydrogen peroxide on my freckles till I accepted them as part of me...

I used to use hydrogen peroxide on my freckles till I accepted them as part of me...

When I was a kid I used to mix it with sodium hypochlorite (I used 'Milton' used for sterilising nappies!). This gives off oxygen and putting a spark to it gave a bright flash and bang! I NEVER considered drinking the stuff - nor will I ever!

c058.gif

When I was a kid I used to mix it with sodium hypochlorite (I used 'Milton' used for sterilising nappies!). This gives off oxygen and putting a spark to it gave a bright flash and bang! I NEVER considered drinking the stuff - nor will I ever!

I never knew that. I have a little person that would be entertained by bangs and flashes and I have a couple of weeks off soon, time for some kitchen table science I think...

I never knew that. I have a little person that would be entertained by bangs and flashes and I have a couple of weeks off soon, time for some kitchen table science I think...

Just don't go putting Andrew's Liver Salts in your coffee.:D

I've just read about a 'cure' for diabetes (and myriad other diseases, including cancer). The 'cure' is this: drink hydrogen peroxide! Right, forget the metformin, insulin etc., just drink bleach! 😱 I'm absolutely horrified that people can make a living from flogging this potentially fatal 'treatment' or 'therapy'!!!

Of course, there are disclaimers, and the 'therapy' involves heavy dilution, but what if mistakes are made? I won't publish the link here as I don't want to give the person any publicity.

Hi Northerner very shocked to read this, as Victor Meldrew would say "I DON'T BELIEVE IT". Surely there must be some way of reporting this to some governing body.😱😱😱 Sheena

Jumping off Beachy Head will have a similar effect!

Andy 🙂

To quote from www.asa.org.uk : "The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) is the UK's independent regulator of advertising across all media, including TV, internet, sales promotions and direct marketing. Our role is to ensure ads are legal, decent, honest and truthful by applying the Advertising Codes." If you see something that they could cover, then worth notifying ASA.
For other science issues, Sense About Science is a useful body, largely supported by voluntary work by expert scientists. see http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

To quote from www.asa.org.uk : "The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) is the UK's independent regulator of advertising across all media, including TV, internet, sales promotions and direct marketing. Our role is to ensure ads are legal, decent, honest and truthful by applying the Advertising Codes." If you see something that they could cover, then worth notifying ASA.
For other science issues, Sense About Science is a useful body, largely supported by voluntary work by expert scientists. see http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

It's an American site with all the usual disclaimers to make sure they comply with US law. What I found funny is that the H2O2 is described as 'Food Grade', and a very high concentration of 35%. Normal shop-bought stuff is only 3% or less, which makes this stuff even more potentially poisonous and dangerous. The woman has around 16,000 followers on Twitter. She has blocked me from seeing her tweets because I challenged her '100% guarantee of a cure for diabtes'...

I am at a loss for words... How (insert swear word) dangerous. These types of people make me mad 😡.

She has obviously blocked you from her tweet Alan as she cant handle the truth!!!

It's an American site with all the usual disclaimers to make sure they comply with US law. What I found funny is that the H2O2 is described as 'Food Grade', and a very high concentration of 35%. Normal shop-bought stuff is only 3% or less, which makes this stuff even more potentially poisonous and dangerous. The woman has around 16,000 followers on Twitter. She has blocked me from seeing her tweets because I challenged her '100% guarantee of a cure for diabtes'...

That would be because you're dangerous...you're a 'closed mind' 🙄

Well, I guess if you drink it diabetes will be the last of your worries!!! 😱

So you have five-a-day to provide anti-oxidants and the cure is to drink an oxidising agent!

Just read this. Ouch.

I've been reading a few of the badscience type blogs and tweeters who love to have a go at people like this. It's amazing what desperate folks will do and actually pay for without seeking medical advice. And some will seek it and still go against it.

Nasty money grabbing charlatans.

Rob

I'm sure if Demestos bleach was a 100% cure then the NHS would be giving away 5 Ltr tubs instead of the carrier bag of stuff I get on perscription every month! :D

Yes, it's a cure, when you're dead you're cured!! 😡 That is just ridiculous!! I wouldn't want my child to drink bleach, however much it's diluted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back