Could this be true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
An article in weekly magazine "Womans Own"

Diabetes breakthrough
A new jab that controls T2 diabetes, as well as lowering cholesterol and blood pressure, could be available on the NHS as soon as Christmas. VICTOZA will be prescribed to people who are already on medication for the condition and has the added benefit of reducing appetite - obesity is one of the major causes of T2 diabetes, which affects 2.6 million people in the UK.

Could this be true - has anyone else heard about this?

I'm a bit confused by this as I believe there are already people taking this drug. I'm sure there are patients on this at the clinic at my hospital.

They is already people taking this i have seen it and was offered it in April i chose byetta though.

It was approved last month, so some places may already be prescribing it. It's similar to byetta, as it stimulates insulin production and is therefore only really suitable for people who are still producing some 🙂 Also known as liraglutide and made by Novo-Nordisk.

It's true, "Women's Own" need a better informed health journalist. I don't know about the cholesterol bit but they rep cmae round last year to our hospital claiming it was the best thing since sliced bread, or Metformin, depending...We haven't seen a lot of it being prescribed (our consultants seem to prefer exenatide/byetta), but maybe it's more common in community.

just wondering, would this be available to me? an if so would that mean i wouldnt have to take metformin or my cholestrol tablet?

just wondering, would this be available to me? an if so would that mean i wouldnt have to take metformin or my cholestrol tablet?

Tracey ask your GP it can do no harm, you never know, depends if they have heard of it yet i guess x

From what I've read it can have some nasty side effects and can cause pancreatitis.

See the link below for more info.

http://www.victoza.com/

That safety information is scarey!!!

Ive know a lady from going to the surgery who is also diabetic something in the back of my mind tells me she is on victoza so im going to ask he how she is finding being on it.

Steff - that would be great

I go to see the consultant next month - so all info would be great

Thanks

yeah id also like to hear more about it, so any info you can get steff would be great hun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back