Could Science Help Diabetes Patients Become Their Own Insulin Donors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
What if a diabetes patient?s own cells?taken from his or her own adult tissue?could be made to create insulin, secreting the compound whenever needed? This specific type of cell therapy is a form of what has been called ?autologous cell replacement.? Diabetes now affects about 285 million people globally, about 6.4 percent of the global population. The World Health Organization predicts that this figure is slated to increase to 366 million by the year 2030. According to the American Diabetes Association, 1.9 million fresh cases of diabetes were diagnosed in people aged 20 years and older in 2010, an estimated 7.0 million Americans have undiagnosed diabetes, and an additional 79 million have pre-diabetes. Approximately 25.8 million children and adults in the United States?8.3% of the population?have diabetes. Various types of treatment for diabetes are available today, but they all present specific drawbacks to the patient. For example, insulin therapy can trigger a host of conditions from weight gain to hypoglycemia, and its administration must be continuously controlled and monitored by the patient.

http://www.groundreport.com/Health_...-Help-Diabetes-Patients-Become-Their-/2947053

I notice increased use of the word 'slated' meaning 'is expected to' occurring in Spam emails, this being the north american use of the word. is the WHO composed of mainly americans or are the Brits getting sloppy in their use of English?

The World Health Organization predicts that this figure is slated to increase
, surely if it's a prediction then it's tautological to predict and slate.

Just a few ramblings for a Sunday morning, and it's P****ing down here

I notice increased use of the word 'slated' meaning 'is expected to' occurring in Spam emails, this being the north american use of the word. is the WHO composed of mainly americans or are the Brits getting sloppy in their use of English?

, surely if it's a prediction then it's tautological to predict and slate.

Just a few ramblings for a Sunday morning, and it's P****ing down here

Indeed, I suspect the journalist has inserted 'slated' because he thought it sounded more dramatic than 'set' 🙄

Hope the rain stops soon - we had sunshine (when I put my washing on) and now it's all clouded over and ominous (now it's time to put the washing out)

Indeed, I suspect the journalist has inserted 'slated' because he thought it sounded more dramatic than 'set' 🙄

Hope the rain stops soon - we had sunshine (when I put my washing on) and now it's all clouded over and ominous (now it's time to put the washing out)

I seem to remember that putting the washing out was part of an old english rain dance custom.🙄

Give a whole new meaning to : I'd cut of my own right arm for a cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back