Could it be...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmieLou

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Hello all, I've been feeling pretty rubbish for a long time, tired drained, palpitations etc didn't think about type 2 diabetes but they keep ruling out anything cardiac or respiratory.
The last 5 weeks symptoms have got worse and I've only just noticed how thirsty I am dry mouth toilet more during day but not the classic night, the dizziness is getting worse, my tongue is white, headaches, out of breath all time and my eyes keep going a bit fuzzy.
My mam was diagnosed with type 2 and managed to put it in remission.

As I can't get a blood test with go for 3 weeks would it be worth getting the Lloyds pharmacy test to see if anything comes up which may enable me to get a more urgent appointment. I feel so poorly and 3 weeks is a long time. That saying they are also going to test for myocarditis anaemia b12 and a load of other things I couldn't see on the screen.

What symptoms did you all have?

Thanks for any opinions not looking for a diagnosis just weighing up either to pay 10 quid to find out or battle on and wait x

Hello all, I've been feeling pretty rubbish for a long time, tired drained, palpitations etc didn't think about type 2 diabetes but they keep ruling out anything cardiac or respiratory.
The last 5 weeks symptoms have got worse and I've only just noticed how thirsty I am dry mouth toilet more during day but not the classic night, the dizziness is getting worse, my tongue is white, headaches, out of breath all time and my eyes keep going a bit fuzzy.
My mam was diagnosed with type 2 and managed to put it in remission.

As I can't get a blood test with go for 3 weeks would it be worth getting the Lloyds pharmacy test to see if anything comes up which may enable me to get a more urgent appointment. I feel so poorly and 3 weeks is a long time. That saying they are also going to test for myocarditis anaemia b12 and a load of other things I couldn't see on the screen.

What symptoms did you all have?

Thanks for any opinions not looking for a diagnosis just weighing up either to pay 10 quid to find out or battle on and wait x
The symptoms you describe do sound as if your blood glucose is high, classic is the thirst, loo visits and if your tongue is white that could indicate oral thrush which can be caused by high blood glucose as your mouth will be more sugary as well as the fussy eyes.
As long as you have a form for the blood tests some pharmacies offer a phlebotomy service which you can book.
The pharmacy may be able to do a finger prick test which will indicate how high your blood glucose is but it will not be the one normally used for diagnosis but if you have that result and it is very high then the pharmacy may advise you to call 111 or go to A&E as high levels can be dangerous.
In the meantime make sure you are drinking plenty and it would be a good idea to reduce your intake of sugary foods and drinks.
If it does turn out that you are Type 2 diabetic then having a read of this link may help you with planning what you might need to be doing to modify your diet. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/ It will help you with questions you might want to ask your GP.

The symptoms you describe do sound as if your blood glucose is high, classic is the thirst, loo visits and if your tongue is white that could indicate oral thrush which can be caused by high blood glucose as your mouth will be more sugary as well as the fussy eyes.
As long as you have a form for the blood tests some pharmacies offer a phlebotomy service which you can book.
The pharmacy may be able to do a finger prick test which will indicate how high your blood glucose is but it will not be the one normally used for diagnosis but if you have that result and it is very high then the pharmacy may advise you to call 111 or go to A&E as high levels can be dangerous.
In the meantime make sure you are drinking plenty and it would be a good idea to reduce your intake of sugary foods and drinks.
If it does turn out that you are Type 2 diabetic then having a read of this link may help you with planning what you might need to be doing to modify your diet. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/ It will help you with questions you might want to ask your GP.
Thank you so much for the quick reply.
I guess I'm just so worried I'm trying to see if I can get a little further forward quicker, if the pharmacy test shows high level they may release a more urgent appointment for me. I dont have a form or anything so I think I'm gonna go for it. Oral thrush sounds mortifying I've no pain or anything can't even remember why I stuck my tongue out this morning lol

You sound very knowledgeable and I appreciate the info and advice given

It could be diabetes @EmmieLou but some of the symptoms don’t really fit, eg the palpitations and the dizziness. When you say they’re ruling out cardiac things, have you had any tests yet? I’d be more worried about that, frankly.

Have you had your blood pressure taken? An ECG, etc?

Hello @EmmieLou

The symptoms I had:

- thirsty
- peeing a lot
- itchy legs
- tired, walking pace became slow
- blood pressure was higher than normal (sister had a BP machine at home - but pharmacy might have one and some GPs have one in reception)
- eyesight started changing

I think you're wise to go for a pharmacy test rather than wait.

it will give you peace of mind if its not Diabetes . Its worth it. Would your mum have a glucose meter and strips. im sure she would let you test.
i still get palpitations sweats but dont get the thirst of urine frequency. However that is the main lookout thing. Let us know how you do.

It could be diabetes @EmmieLou but some of the symptoms don’t really fit, eg the palpitations and the dizziness. When you say they’re ruling out cardiac things, have you had any tests yet? I’d be more worried about that, frankly.

Have you had your blood pressure taken? An ECG, etc?
Hello, when I first started with increased symptoms about 5/6 weeks ago they sent me A&E for ECG which showed abnormal but they didnt elaborate other than my abnormal could be my normal without a history and bloods which were clear of heart attack or damage.
I then had covid so never followed up straight away. Went back and they agreed to all these blood tests one being the heart inflammation which can be caused by covid but I had these symptoms before that so I'm doubtful it will show much.

Had blood pressure taken a few times and it's fine they say.

I feel there's alot going on as I just feel dreadful its no life when I have no energy to do much I feel broken so ended up doing the cardinal sin of googling

Then it’s good you’re having all those tests @EmmieLou Sometimes just ruling things out can be helpful and get you closer to an answer. Even simple things like anaemia or a vitamin deficiency can make you feel really rubbish. When you do have the blood tests, find out exactly what they’re testing, and when you get the results, ask for the actual numbers of each one not just a OK, Normal, Fine. That way you can see if anything is on the low side of normal or whatever.

Does your pee smell funny? Mine always smells like sugar puffs when I’ve been high

Does your pee smell funny? Mine always smells like sugar puffs when I’ve been high
Yes , I kinda liked that. Also it can be very concentrated and very dark coloured too.

Then it’s good you’re having all those tests @EmmieLou Sometimes just ruling things out can be helpful and get you closer to an answer. Even simple things like anaemia or a vitamin deficiency can make you feel really rubbish. When you do have the blood tests, find out exactly what they’re testing, and when you get the results, ask for the actual numbers of each one not just a OK, Normal, Fine. That way you can see if anything is on the low side of normal or whatever.
Thank you. I didnt know I could ask for actual results usually a receptionist says normal no action bye lol.

There has to be a reason for it all (hopefully something on the simple side) but it's taken a long time to get someone to listen and agree to investigate further.

I appreciate the responses tonight fom everyone

Thank you. I didnt know I could ask for actual results usually a receptionist says normal no action bye lol.

There has to be a reason for it all (hopefully something on the simple side) but it's taken a long time to get someone to listen and agree to investigate further.

I appreciate the responses tonight fom everyone
In some areas and GPs you can log on to the NHS app and get results, order repeat prescriptions etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back