Could flu jab have caused this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzydi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
OMG what a terrible evening and night I had last night.

Felt bad all day again after my bad day on Wednesday. Had terrible headache all afternoon. Got home from work, had shower and then made poached egg on toast and then injected novorapid. Went to collect hubby from train station and then drove to my work to collect my car which I had to leave on Wednesday at work.

Followed hubby home, half way home started to feel really sick, then round the corner from home hot and sweaty. Parked on the drive and hubby was like are you ok, I realised I was in hypo.

Managed to get in hubby tested me and I was 3.2 omg were did that come from - and while I was driving. Got orange juice down me and hubby was trying to get me to eat some more toast - couldn't eat it. Lay on sofa for a while and my head was getting worse and I said I can't cope with this any more. Was to early for my levemir, but needed to sleep. Tested again and was still only 4.1 (this was 1 1/2 hours after hypo), to low for sleep and bed and to inject levemir.

Hubby frog marched me upstairs and he described me as acting like a naughty 3 year old, refusing to do anything, get undressed etc. he made me have more orange juice and shut me up in bed with the lights out 😛

He came up and tested me at about 11 o'clock and I was at 8. I then slept till 7 this morning, without my levemir. (woke at 6.3!!)

Feel like I have been battered this morning, really sick and still got headache. Could this be down the the wonderful flu job ? Has it made anyone else feel ill ?

could be but to be honest i dont think it was Di.

You were poorly before that. Sounds like your meds are a bit too high now. Headaches and sicky feeling can follow hypos, believe me i have one bad headache today!

Hope you are feeling better today though.

I'd agree with Tracey Di, it sounds like your insulin needs reducing - definitely something to get cleared up with the doctor or DSN as you don't want to risk this happening again if you are driving. Do you normally test before driving?

I hope you are feeling better. The only time I have heard of a reaction to the flu jab is when people have had something working on them already then had the flu jab.

Hi Northy, I do in a morning and before I leave work.

But last night I had just eaten before driving and thought I would be ok - I know stupid of me - and I can assure everyone I will never drive again without testing - it scared the life out of me and the thought of hurting someone else or even killing someone else does not bear thinging about.

I'm seeing consultant next week and will address insulin then. I'm only on small amounts

4 units Novorapid
6-8 units Levemir

I have been feeling really of for over a week now and must admit when I have felt ill in the past my bs have always been high, but this last 3 days I've been 4.7 before breakfast (6.3 this morn as no levemir last night) and in the 4's before driving home in the eve and having a banana.

God this really confuses me. :confused:

My bg tends to be lower when ill too.

From those figures it really does look like you need a reduction, possibly in both insulins. To get a 6.3 with no levemir is pretty low and the levemir might be what is making you low during the day - as Tracey says though, this may be linked to your illness and diabetes' unpredictability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back