Could a FAT transplant combat obesity and prevent diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
From liposuction to stomach stapling, most methods of weight loss surgery involve removing fat - or at least making an area smaller.
Now, scientists have discovered that transplanting fat could be another key to weight loss.
It sounds counter-intuitive, but it's thought adding the right type of fat to the body could speed up calorie burning and improve conditions such as diabetes.
The theory is that there are two types of fat in the body. One is the much-dreaded white fat, which sits under the skin and gives us that beer belly or wobbly thighs. It's caused by eating too much.

But we also have a smaller amount of brown fat, which generates heat. It does this by boosting the metabolism, burning large amounts of energy so the body starts to burn up the 'white fat'.
When ?switched on? it is said to produce around 300 times more heat than any other organ in the body.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ansplant-combat-obesity-prevent-diabetes.html

Could I put myself down to donate. If my fat isn't brown enough I could perhaps mix it with chocolate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back