Costs: Blood Glucose Monitor and Test Strips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millicent

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All
Due to the rising cost of test strips for my current (old) monitor - SD Code Free, I am on the lookout for a new monitor, and perhaps more importantly, test strips and lancets that don't cost me a fortune!

There seems to be a lot of advice on the internet, but not all of it is current.

I would be grateful for advice from anybody about what they are using and how cost effective it is - or anything else you may want to share.

That would be great. Thanks

Hi @Millicent. I use Glucomen Aero device. I was originally prescribed its predecessor model which Glucomen replaced FOC when it became redundant. Diabetes UK sells the test strips VAT free, being the cheapest the last time I shopped around.
There may be cheaper devices out there. It's the ongoing cost of the strips which is significant.
Hope this helps.
Nick

Codefree test strips are £21.45 for 100 at the moment on Amazon and it is true they have gone up quite a bit they are still cheaper than some.
The replacement for the code free is the GlucoNavii test strips £20.99 but it looks as if a monitor plus 100 strips and 100 lancets are only £22.99 at the moment (many do reuse lancets so 100 would last forever) and some people have the TEE2.

The replacement for the code free is the GlucoNavii test strips £20.99

I’m a little confused now @Leadinglights. Do you have a current link to the GlucoNavii?

Just had a quick Google, and can only seem to find the GlucoseNavii by GDH which I thought might be the same (but those are £10ish a pot (or £6.50 for a pot if you buy 5)

Caresens now seem to be marketing the N. And the N strips seems to be £15ish a pot

Tee2 strips still seem to be £10ish for a pot

Last edited:
A Contour Plus Blue is a good option, sometimes you can get a free one from Ascensia. Strips are currently £8.59 for 50 at Chemist4U

I use this. Very pleased with it. It’s about the fifth meter I’ve bought. Consistent results, good app and decent value strips. I also got it for free.

I’m a little confused now @Leadinglights. Do you have a current link to the GlucoNavii?

Just had a quick Google, and can only seem to find the GlucoseNavii by GDH which I thought might be the same (but those are £10ish a pot (or £6.50 for a pot if you buy 5)

Caresens now seem to be marketing the N. And the N strips seems to be £15ish a pot

Tee2 strips still seem to be £10ish for a pot
Apologies, looks as if it was just 100 test strips and lancets for that price but there is monitor, 50 strips and lancets for £25
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GlucoNavii-Glucose-Monitor-Starter-Lancets unless it was just a one off offer.

I use this. Very pleased with it. It’s about the fifth meter I’ve bought. Consistent results, good app and decent value strips. I also got it for free.

I’ve used Ascensia/Contour meters for a few years. Though mine use the Next XT strips

unless it was just a one off offer.

It was more that the Gluco (Glucose?) Navii doesn’t seem to be by CareSens any more. I’m not sure when that happened!

I’ve used Ascensia/Contour meters for a few years. Though mine use the Next XT strips

I have a Next One as well, but the strips are 20 pounds per pot! It's very, very nice piece of kit, though.

I have a Next One as well, but the strips are 20 pounds per pot! It's very, very nice piece of kit, though.

Yes I thought they were something like that 😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back