Cost. Libre 2 v Finger pricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulG

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,
Before asking my GP I would like to know the difference in cost between Libre 2 and finger pricking.
At the moment I use Accu-Chek Instant strips together with Accu-Chek FastClix finger pricker. ( a six needle cartridge )
I use these three times a day plus whenever I drive, so some days that might be five a day. I carry Dextro tabs.
I have an iPhone 7 running 15.8.2 if that makes any difference.
My GP's surgery obviously have a drugs budget and she likes to keep that to a minimum.
Many thanks in anticipation,
Paul G

Before Libre became "normal" for people with Type 1, the cut off/break even point was 8 or more finger pricks a day.
That does not take into consideration that CGMs do not replace all finger pricks. In fact, if you are seeing Libre that way, you are missing the value of data between finger pricks.

Last edited:
Hi All,
Before asking my GP I would like to know the difference in cost between Libre 2 and finger pricking.
At the moment I use Accu-Chek Instant strips together with Accu-Chek FastClix finger pricker. ( a six needle cartridge )
I use these three times a day plus whenever I drive, so some days that might be five a day. I carry Dextro tabs.
My GP's surgery obviously have a drugs budget and she likes to keep that to a minimum.
Paul G
I believe the Libre 2 cost to the NHS is £35 and it lasts 14 days.
Accu-check strips cost to the NHS is £6 for 50.
But that is not the only consideration on being entitled to a Libre on the NHS.

I believe the Libre 2 cost to the NHS is £35 and it lasts 14 days.
Accu-check strips cost to the NHS is £6 for 50.
But that is not the only consideration on being entitled to a Libre on the NHS.
Thanks very much for those figures @Leadinglights.
Looks like its a no-no then.
Paul G

Are you on insulin Paul? If not, then you are pretty much wasting your time asking. There are Type 2s on insulin who still struggle to get Libre prescribed, even though their treatment is the same as Type 1s who do get it on the NHS.

Hi All,
Paul G
If you are testing less than 8-10 times a day then fingerpricking is cheaper. There are set criteria that type 2 have to meet to get libre funded. These can vary by area but in my area you need to be injecting insulin 2+ times a day and a medical professional needs to have advised you to fingerprick 8+ times a day. There were a few other criteria but those are the ones I qualified based on.

Are you on insulin Paul? If not, then you are pretty much wasting your time asking. There are Type 2s on insulin who still struggle to get Libre prescribed, even though their treatment is the same as Type 1s who do get it on the NHS.
I'm on 1x500mg Metformin and 36 units of insulin am ( Humulin M3 KwikPen ) and same again pm.
The insulin is 30% soluble / 70% isophane.
I try to take this 12 hrs apart, eg 6.30 am - 6.30pm
Paul G

Before Libre became "normal" for people with Type 1, the cut off/break even pont was 10 or more ginger pricks a day.
That does not take into consideration that VGMs do not replace all finger pricks. In fact, if you are seeing Libre that way, you are missing the point of data between finger pricks.
Thanks for the smile. :D I've never had a "ginger prick" but assume there are those that have. 😱

I much prefer the nuts meself ....... though a brandy snap, dipped in lovely dark chock either end then piped with whipped fresh cream through its middle is a wonderful creation whoever makes it me! (quite willing to pay cash!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back