corrections/basal?

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all!

I just asked this question on another thread and realised i should have done it as a seperate one!

Is it better to get Alex's basal level right and then use the corrections through the day - but i worry that having to correct all the time isnt a good thing? Is it because his ratio's are wrong or that we dont have the basal right yet that we have to keep correcting?
I hope that makes sense - i know what i mean - but do you?lol:DBev

Last edited:
It best to get the basal right first otherwise the bolus and correction ratio's will be off.

When are you correcting? what times is he generally high?

Hi Nikki,

Mostly at lunch time and evening meal time - sometimes he is under 10 - but sometimes over and up to 13/14! Mostly his waking level is 7/8 but can be3 or 4! Bev

If Alex is reaching double figures in the evening like that, then my guess is that his basal is not lasting 24 hrs. So if he isn't on a split does you need to sort it out with his DSN. If he is on a split dose then it needs adjusting.

Yes! I'm so relieved that type1_Sue agrees with me...just put my thoughts down on another thread, sorry Bev didn't see this...

As I say, we split my son's dose ten days ago, and the difference in control is very marked. We started at 15u at night, but when split went to 8 and 8. We've recently upped the evening to 9units, so now his overall levemir is higher, but the coverage is much, much better, so all more stable.

Hmm,

I wonder why his DN hasnt told us to do this then? Unless its because he is still honeymooning etc..? But Patricia your son is only 1 month ahead of Alex so i wonder why the advice is not the same?I will be asking them when i next speak to his DN!:confused:Bev

I think that honeymooning is a bit of a term to cover all ills, frankly...I know it exists, but our son has shown no sign of his need for insulin decreasing, 4 months in. Being honeymoon is also no real reason for not gaining as much control as possible, even if elements of it need constant monitoring.

We have a shared care arrangement at the moment, and both of our clinics spotted that E's levemir may need splitting eventually. They each advised us to hang on a few more weeks to see if it was a pattern. We waited three more weeks (until after he was over being unwell, actually), then cleared the split with our DSN, and went for it. Both consultants stated that it was a pretty common solution, and that most eventually went for it.

Yes, speak to them!

Erk, just realised that the last comment may have looked like I meant that *you* bev were using honeymoon somehow as an excuse -- NOT AT ALL! What I meant was that honeymoon is no reason for *your team* not to make every effort for you to get control, even if the control doesn't last long, etc. Otherwise it's so hard for you and Alex!

doesnt the honeymoon period mean you need LESS insulin??

i'm confused.

I definately needed less insulin during my honeymoon period and my BG levels were far easier to control. My HbA1c was good too, about 6.

Patricia,
Of course i knew you werent referring to me!:D

Katie,
I understand what your saying but - less insulin than what? I have no idea if Alex is needing less insulin if he is honeymooning as i dont know what i would compare it to? If you know what i mean! Its all very confusing isnt it?:confused:Bev

people usually use less insulin in the honeymoon period because they are still producing some of their own insulin. so using less insulin than if they were totally insulin defincient.
The problems are when the own insulin production is inconsistent.

It's best to get the basal dose right first as if it's off you can't be sure what's happening with the bolus. the basal should keep you steady and be working on the glucose given out by your liver only, not on meals etc. It may be that you need to change the amount of split the dose, that's something to discuss with the dsn.
Once you're confident that the basal is right you can then have a good idea of what you need to do to the ratios, it's best to work on one ratio at a time so you can be sure of what changes are causing what results. I think most people find it's best to start with working out the breakfast ratio and then once that's sorted move on to lunch etc. It does take some time but a little while of having 'off' figures and having to correct is worth it to get a good system sorted.

Thanks all,

I have a much clearer understanding of it now - wish the DN could explain it in such easy terms!:DBev

Back