correction effectiveness??

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_G

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I seem to be REALLY insulin sensitive after around 9pm and i just wondered if anyone is the same when trying to give a correction dose?

Example: if i give myself a correction does during the day when i'm say 10 mmols, i only have to give myself 2 units for my levels to come down to 6mmols, however if i do the same correction at night (or the early hours) i will only come down to 8.5 - 9 mmols...?

So is it that i have different corrction ratios or something??

I appear to be the same these days. I was at 12mmol a few weeks ago, gave myself 2 or 3 units and within a few hours I was at 3mmol!!!

Can't do right from wrong with this condition.... grrrr

I seem to be REALLY insulin sensitive after around 9pm and i just wondered if anyone is the same when trying to give a correction dose?

Example: if i give myself a correction does during the day when i'm say 10 mmols, i only have to give myself 2 units for my levels to come down to 6mmols, however if i do the same correction at night (or the early hours) i will only come down to 8.5 - 9 mmols...?

I think you mean you are more insulin resistant at night so you need more insulin to get your levels down. Most people tend to be insulin resistant in the morning, but there's no hard and fast rule. I'm not really the person to ask about correction ratios as I've only ever done 2! I would imagine that the ratios are going to change pretty much in the same way that meal ratios change - do you need more or less insulin with your evening meal than you do earlier in the day?

I seem to be developing a cycle of resistance for a few days, then one day my BS will plummet if I so much as look at insulin.

I've often wondered if tiredness plays an active part in it all.

ROb

I am very insulin sensitive in the evening, if I eat a snack after 9pm I lower my ratio from 1.5:1 to 1:1

I am always more cautious with corrections after this time unless quite high.

Hiya, it does sound like you need different correction doses. On the pump, Rose from 8pm to 6am is on 1:9 and between 6am and 8pm she is on 1:5.8 She can't have the same correction at night becasue she would crash big time!

I think you mean you are more insulin resistant at night so you need more insulin to get your levels down. Most people tend to be insulin resistant in the morning, but there's no hard and fast rule. I'm not really the person to ask about correction ratios as I've only ever done 2! I would imagine that the ratios are going to change pretty much in the same way that meal ratios change - do you need more or less insulin with your evening meal than you do earlier in the day?

Ohhh whoops i meant insulin resistant lol, thats what happens when i type when i am half asleep 🙄

I need more insulin with evening meal than i do during the day, also if i eat late like maybe 10pm or something silly i think my ratio changed again...has anyone had this? and i need a ratio of more 2:10 compared to my usual evening ratio of 1:10 and i find sometimes my corrections do nothing! i inject and where does the insulin go...it does nothing so i think i deffinatly need a different correction ratio for late at night...sigh

Hiya, it does sound like you need different correction doses. On the pump, Rose from 8pm to 6am is on 1:9 and between 6am and 8pm she is on 1:5.8 She can't have the same correction at night becasue she would crash big time!

Wow 1.5.8 ?

It all sounds very precise when you have a pump, i want one lol 🙂

Wow 1.5.8 ?

LOL! The DSN worked it out for us, it might need lowering at the moment but am tinkering with other things so will wait and see. It is very precise and that's why i love the pump! :D There is a formula that they use to work it out but it goes way over my head lol!

Wow 1.5.8 ?

I was in a post conversation recently on another forum with a pumper who has incredibly tight control and very few hypos. He was saying that he adjusts his basal plus or minus 1/40th of a unit!

I think it's quite common for folks to need different ratio at different times of the day, both for correction doses, and the bolus doses themselves.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back