Correction dosing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecoar001

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Good Afternoon everyone, I am now Type 1 (after C Peptide blood test) after 20 yrs. thinking I was Type 2, about ten months on Basel / Bolus regime, can anyone explain in plain terms about correction dosing, I understand but sort of don`t what is involved, I get quite a lot of high spikes which drop back just as quickly as they rise, the freestyle says I am 88% in target (3.9-10.0 mmol/L) with low alarm set at 4.6.but it does have a few gaps in the graphs particularly late evening.

Good Afternoon everyone, I am now Type 1 (after C Peptide blood test) after 20 yrs. thinking I was Type 2, about ten months on Basel / Bolus regime, can anyone explain in plain terms about correction dosing, I understand but sort of don`t what is involved, I get quite a lot of high spikes which drop back just as quickly as they rise, the freestyle says I am 88% in target (3.9-10.0 mmol/L) with low alarm set at 4.6.but it does have a few gaps in the graphs particularly late evening.
Correction doses are for when your blood sugars are high, but you don’t have any fast acting insulin left in your system, and you need to calculate how much insulin to use to bring them safely down. You would never do this until 4 or 5 hours after the last meal/insulin bolus, when you’re sure you don’t have any fast acting left in the system.
If you are seeing spikes, but they then come down of their own accord, it sounds to me as if your problem is a matter of timing the insulin, rather than not having enough on board. If you eat, and the carb in what you eat reaches your blood stream quicker than the insulin, then the insulin has to play catch up until it’s worked its way through the glucose that’s already hit your system.
So if you are spiking, but falling back to reasonable levels, you don’t want any extra insulin else you’ll overshoot and end up hypo. What you could play around with is the timing of the insulin, perhaps bringing forwards your injection by 5 minutes at a time, particularly with carby meals, or meals where you’ve noticed the spike is particularly high, and see if you can smooth out the curve a bit (there will always be a curve, because the 'fit' between insulin and food is always a bit mismatched)

If your spikes drop back down as they should, you wouldn’t correct them. As @Robin said, you could try bringing your bolus forward cautiously, but from your Libre data it looks like you’re doing really well anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back