correction doses

Status
Not open for further replies.

casey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, i am a little confused when i read of others taking 'correction' doses.Does this mean that if my BS are high, say before bed, i should give a correction dose of Novorapid to lower my BS before i take my bedtime dose of Lantus . Also, if that is right, is there a minimum amount of time i should
leave between the two doses. Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid but i really dont know what i am doing yet.

Hi all, i am a little confused when i read of others taking 'correction' doses.Does this mean that if my BS are high, say before bed, i should give a correction dose of Novorapid to lower my BS before i take my bedtime dose of Lantus . Also, if that is right, is there a minimum amount of time i should
leave between the two doses. Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid but i really dont know what i am doing yet.

hi casey, it's not a stupid question at all.

a lot of people have a target range they want to be in at their 'pre bed' test. if they are higher than this, they may take a correction dose to bring them down to their desired level (or thereabouts).

as for leaving a set amount of time - i'm going to hold my hands up here and say i don't know. personally, when i took my lantus at night (i've just started taking it in the morning) i would do the correction dose at the same time if that's how things worked out. i personally didn't find lantus had a peak.

Casey - personally I would not take a correction dose less than 2 hours after eating, as you will still have active insulin in you from the meal, and you may just be having a post-meal spike, so if you corrected you would then end up going too low.

I am not sure what the "official" line is on this though. I may have to dig out my DAFNE notes.

It is ok to give novorapid and lantus at the same time, they have different time frames so no need to delay the lantus.
Basically correction doses are to bring down high blood sugars and can be added to a mealtime bolus or given on their own.
What you need to work out though is how much each unit of insulin will make your blood sugar fall. This is very individual though.
There is a formula that can be used to work it out though, but best advice would be to work it out with your DSN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back