Correcting at night time ! Newly diagnosed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseH

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello, I’ve just been told to start correcting at night . For some reason this really scares me. I’ve totally messed up my carbs to insulin tonight and I’m at 13 before bed so I should correct but for some reason I just don’t feel comfortable with it. I think my concern is putting fast acting in, going to bed and it coming down to fast then I’m dealing with low blood sugars. As you can probably tell I’m newly diagnosed. Any advice welcome. Thanks

It’s fairly common to have a fear of hypos while your asleep but in my experience I wouldn’t correct a BG unless it was about 15 or more at night so I don’t go low

Hello, I’ve just been told to start correcting at night . For some reason this really scares me. I’ve totally messed up my carbs to insulin tonight and I’m at 13 before bed so I should correct but for some reason I just don’t feel comfortable with it. I think my concern is putting fast acting in, going to bed and it coming down to fast then I’m dealing with low blood sugars. As you can probably tell I’m newly diagnosed. Any advice welcome. Thanks
If youve been told to start correcting, I assume you’ve also discussed how much insulin you need to inject to bring you down. You could start very conservatively, maybe taking half of what you’ve calculated you need, or even a smaller proportion, and see what happens, and hopefully you’ll gradually build up your confidence.

If youve been told to start correcting, I assume you’ve also discussed how much insulin you need to inject to bring you down. You could start very conservatively, maybe taking half of what you’ve calculated you need, or even a smaller proportion, and see what happens, and hopefully you’ll gradually build up your confidence.
I have a correction sheet , I’m at 13 still so I should put in a few units but I’ve just put the one in out of nerves , thank you for the advice x

It’s fairly common to have a fear of hypos while your asleep but in my experience I wouldn’t correct a BG unless it was about 15 or more at night so I don’t go low
I’ve been told to correct anything over 8 but tonight I’m still measuring at 13 and had tea at half 5 , so I’ve just took the one unit as I’m worried about it I’ve never corrected at night before just put my long lasting in and gone bed but hopefully it all goes ok , thanks for the advice x

How did it work out?

Came down ok thank god woke up between 5/6 so that’s ok , still feel like if I would of put 3/4 units in it would have been too much so glad I went under the recommended dose, thanks for asking x

Attachments

• DDB1DBF5-7AF2-4A01-83A7-802AADCA96EE.jpeg
    DDB1DBF5-7AF2-4A01-83A7-802AADCA96EE.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 7
I’m glad it worked out for you, and you’ve learnt something about correcting at bedtime. For some reason I need to be very conservative with bedtime correcting, I tend to drop a bit naturally, as if my liver stops releasing so much background glucose as soon as my head hits the pillow.

I’m glad it worked out for you, and you’ve learnt something about correcting at bedtime. For some reason I need to be very conservative with bedtime correcting, I tend to drop a bit naturally, as if my liver stops releasing so much background glucose as soon as my head hits the pillow.
Thank you, one thing I’ve learnt is it’s just one big guessing game until I find what works and being diagnosed by nearly loosing my life makes all these little things scary but I will get there. Yeah I usually drop naturally but last night I went in on the pasta a bit too much I think haha ! X

I’ve been told to correct anything over 8 but tonight I’m still measuring at 13 and had tea at half 5 , so I’ve just took the one unit as I’m worried about it I’ve never corrected at night before just put my long lasting in and gone bed but hopefully it all goes ok , thanks for the advice x
I don't think that's good advice for when you are going to bed. I would set my measure around 10'ish and that's with my Libre 2 with alarms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back