Coronavirus and working..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fosterkid

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone, I’ve been a type 1 diabetic for nearly 20 years now and I also have coeliac disease. I take 4 injections a day and also 4 metofirm tablets. I am 25 years old and I am a retail worker so I be up close and personal with the general public on a daily basis, as my field of work is based around providing customer service. Recently I was put on a ramipril, Simvastatin and a iron tablet as my blood count is low. I was told I had a very low immune system and needed to go on a multivitamin. I am getting concerned about the coronavirus and I’m unsure if I should be isolating or continuing to work? Does anyone have any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

You need to speak to your GP, but with those meds it sounds like you have high BP, so diabetics are on the list of "should isolate" as per the latest guidelines. So might want to speak to your GP and your employer about possible work from home.

You need to speak to your GP, but with those meds it sounds like you have high BP, so diabetics are on the list of "should isolate" as per the latest guidelines. So might want to speak to your GP and your employer about possible work from home.
Yes I have slightly high blood pressure, even from a young age, it runs in my family . I have been tested with the 24 hour machine when I was in the child clinic. But at my last diabetic appt the doctor decided I needed to go on something to control it as there getting worried. I shall contact my gp tomorrow, fingers crossed I get to speak to him directly. Thanks for the advice.

Hi everyone, I’ve been a type 1 diabetic for nearly 20 years now and I also have coeliac disease. I take 4 injections a day and also 4 metofirm tablets. I am 25 years old and I am a retail worker so I be up close and personal with the general public on a daily basis, as my field of work is based around providing customer service. Recently I was put on a ramipril, Simvastatin and a iron tablet as my blood count is low. I was told I had a very low immune system and needed to go on a multivitamin. I am getting concerned about the coronavirus and I’m unsure if I should be isolating or continuing to work? Does anyone have any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

The official advice is still ‘social distancing’ (including working from home and avoiding rush hour public transport where possible), but with high BP and a low immune system you have a few more causes for concern.

The latest advice from the ADA (America’s version of DUK) is that well managed diabetes in younger people doesn’t add much risk of a severe case of Covid 19 at all, and your young age certainly reduces your risk substantially.

But it’s very hard to work out personal risk accurately, because there are so many overlapping factors, and we still don’t have all that much data to go on (and it’s mostly from about 1300 people in China, so may not be universally applicable).

This was the most recent government advice about who should isolate (they will be getting letters over the weekend) vs who should be more stringent with social distancing (eg people with diabetes)... and also what ‘social distancing’ actually means!

I don't have high BP, but I was taking Ramipril from having a 3x Coronary Bypass a few years ago.
As soon as I learned of the problems with Covid and ACE2 inhibitors such as Ramipril, I stopped taking it - just as I wouldn't now take Ibuprofen.

As soon as I learned of the problems with Covid and ACE2 inhibitors such as Ramipril, I stopped taking it - just as I wouldn't now take Ibuprofen.

Absolutely your choice to do that Ian, though the official advice is to carry on taking medications.

As I understand it there is not much clear evidence against either ibuprofen or ACE inhibitors. To be on the safe side the NHS is suggesting using paracetamol to treat the temperature instead of ibruprofen (because of the alarm caused by the French who said ’buprofens could make things worse). But there isn’t enough evidence of harm to be sure, it’s more a precaution because there’s an easy alternative.

I suggest people should not stop taking their usual BP medication unless told to by their doctor.

Last edited:
Heya - I would also advise speaking to the GPS, however my understanding so far is that everybody is just repeating what the govt says.

While there may not be a lot of risk to certain groups of people you cannot completely rule it out. I have had t1 for 29 years and most of my life it has been fairly badly controlled and I have complications as well as 2 other autoimmune diseases. While the govt aren't telling me specifically to not go to work I have been in a lot of anxiety over this and decided to isolate, even knowing I probably won't be paid - but I value my health more than money.

Do you live alone/can you be financially OK if you won't be entitled a wage?

It seems that health care providers will be reading out to the vulnerable members of society so hopefully we will know more next week. But my advice is to do what you feel is best and attainable for you.

Heya - I would also advise speaking to the GPS, however my understanding so far is that everybody is just repeating what the govt says.

While there may not be a lot of risk to certain groups of people you cannot completely rule it out. I have had t1 for 29 years and most of my life it has been fairly badly controlled and I have complications as well as 2 other autoimmune diseases. While the govt aren't telling me specifically to not go to work I have been in a lot of anxiety over this and decided to isolate, even knowing I probably won't be paid - but I value my health more than money.

Do you live alone/can you be financially OK if you won't be entitled a wage?

It seems that health care providers will be reading out to the vulnerable members of society so hopefully we will know more next week. But my advice is to do what you feel is best and attainable for you.
After discussing it with the HR team at my workplace and medical professionals, I’ve decided to stay at home due to having a few underlying health conditions. I have been stressed and worrying about it now for days as within my job I have to approach the general public to provide a service ,so how are you meant to have social distancing? I’m glad I’ve just made a decision that makes me feel ok. HR explained to me that I will be paid authorised paid leave until further notice which means I will get paid my contracted hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back