Corcoran School Accused Of Not Helping Diabetic Student

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A mother claims a nurse at her daughter's school in Corcoran is refusing to give her daily insulin shots. Christine Cruz's daughter Jasmine has Type One Diabetes.

When school started in August she met with school staff at John Muir School to make sure her diabetic daughter would get a shot before lunch. "She needs assistance with all Diabetes related procedures and of blood glucose testing drawing of the insulin which he refused to do. He was making her do that and I said no. Doctor says that's his job."

http://www.kmph.com/story/23543397/corcoran-school-accused-of-not-helping-diabetic-student

Doesn't give much detail, but I would have thought an 11 year old could give her own injections?

It sounds like a case of rude aggressive behaviour on the Mum's part putting the nurse's back up! The girl's levels were high, the nurse was blamed for botching the injection, so he has now refused to do any more injections! I would say most 11 year olds could do their own injections, but who knows whether there was a learning difficulty etc. Or maybe the girl did do the actual jab, but required adult supervision/assistance to calculate the dose and draw up the insulin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back