Coping with numb feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

berryr99

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Over time my feet have gone very numb (t2 treated with insulin, metformin and jardiance). As a side issue, no-one in the NHS seems to be that bothered and I get bounced around between podiatry, the falls clinic and physio - care overall has been lacking (I live in Co Durham) My balance is affected and I use a stick to walk. Does anyone have any good tips to get back on track with walking a bit further ?

What sort of foods do you have eat?
A lot of members find low carb diets push there BG down and that has the knock on effect of improving neuropathy.
I didn't get to that, as I was morbidly obese, and lost weight to improve my control.

Sorry to hear about the changes in sensation to your feet @berryr99 :(

Members who experience pain and tingling as a result of neuropathy can find they are improved with more stable and in-range glucose management, but I’m not sure if the same benefits are also found with numbness.

How has your glucose management been going? Have you been able to find a balance between your meds and your menu to keep things in range? Have you ever been offered education courses to help you?

I think the numbness is permanenent and was wondering how others coped with the walking difficulties this causes.

BS levels are not too bad but I've been T2 on insulin for over 20 years with very little support from the NHS. I have done a carb counting course (which took me a long time to get on) but reviews are spasmodic from the GP. I also have diabetic retinapathy - treated by laser and the care at the eye hospital is fantastic but I think I get lost in the system because they just see T2 and "not a worry".

Over time my feet have gone very numb (t2 treated with insulin, metformin and jardiance). As a side issue, no-one in the NHS seems to be that bothered and I get bounced around between podiatry, the falls clinic and physio - care overall has been lacking (I live in Co Durham) My balance is affected and I use a stick to walk. Does anyone have any good tips to get back on track with walking a bit further ?
When I had trouble with my feet and lower legs after the first Covid jab I found that using Nordic walking poles really helped - it was awkward having to cope with having both hands full, but it enabled me to go further, faster but still feel safer even on the uneven pavements we have around here.

Hi and welcome from a fellow County Durham resident.

Would firstly like to say that my support here in Durham has been really good, but I take your point that it may well be because I am Type 1 although I was initially misdiagnosed, Type 2. I think it also makes a huge difference that I joined this forum at diagnosis and learned an enormous amount from the experience of others here, so I maybe needed less support from the medical professionals than I would have done if I hadn't had that invaluable input from other diabetics.

I'm afraid I can't help with suggestions for coping with numb feet but I would encourage you to frequent the forum regularly and perhaps improve your BG management so that you reduce the risk of further deterioration. There are many of us who are insulin dependent and can perhaps give you tips for improving your BG management, particularly if you can give us an idea of problem areas. Diet is also a factor particularly with Type 2 because of insulin resistance and many people don't want to engage with that, but it doesn't have to be all sack cloth and ashes. You do have to be open to change though and it is difficult at first, especially when you have spent a lifetime of piling your plate up with carbos like bread and potatoes etc.

Anyway, those are just a few of my thoughts. I hope the suggestion of Nordic Walking poles is helpful in giving you more support and confidence. I imagine good, well fitting footwear will also be important. Good luck and do shout up if you need any support with your BG management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back