Cooking oils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paula1310

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all. Was wondering whats the best cooking oil to use ??? I’ve read so much conflicting opinions Now I am confused Thank you ☺️

Hi all. Was wondering whats the best cooking oil to use ??? I’ve read so much conflicting opinions Now I am confused Thank you ☺️
No carbs in any of them so whatever you used before, different oils are suited for use in different things. Make your choice for what you are going to use it for.

It’s not in relation to pancreatic issues by chance? If so fats/oils need to be dealt with very carefully as can aggravate things a lot.
In terms of general health, low saturated plant based fat is best such as sunflower oil, rapeseed and olive oils are ok for various things (though when did my cooking course olive oil was generally kept for salad dressings).

Lard or tallow have high smoke points, are carb free and taste great.
Definitely not nasty seed oils.

I use lard when I'm doing stir fries as the Chinese do because it has a high smoke point for the high temperature cooking in stir fries.

For the rest of frying I use rapeseed oil because of the lack of any flavour, Virgin olive oil for making salad dressing because of its flavour (cannot be used for frying) and also as the fat in making pizza dough. When making mayonnaise I use rapeseed oil, not olive oil because I don't like the flavour of olive oil in mayonnaise.

So my stock of cooking oils are: a block of lard, Rapeseed oil, and Virgin olive oil

In my local Asian shop there is a whole raft of mustard seed oil so I assume that must feature in Asian cooking, but we have occasionally used pumpkin seed oil and sesame oil in bread which imparts a nice flavour.

Lard or tallow have high smoke points, are carb free and taste great.
Definitely not nasty seed oils.

Many people think lard and tallow are “nasty”. It’s a matter of preference.

I use toasted sesame oil in Chinese dishes. I also use olive oil for dressings, and sometimes nut oils. It all depends what I’m making. I think the one I use most is probably olive oil.

I just use a combination of extra virgin olive oil, smoke point is about 325-375°F/165-190°C.
Light/Refined Olive Oil smoke point is 465°F/240°C
(sometimes I'll use rice bran oil, it's a similar temperature)
another one is Sunflower Oil, smoke point is 440°F/225°C

Refined oils have a much better temperature than extra virgin oils, but it's preference on whether you prefer one over the other.

I go for an assortment of different countries of virgin olive oils if I'm drizzling salad.

I don't use any animal fats, I keep saturated fats low, and go for the healthy ones instead.
Lard has a smoke point of 370°F/185°C, in reality it's way down the list for temperatures needed to fry as well.
Butter is even worse at 350°F/175°C

In my local Asian shop there is a whole raft of mustard seed oil so I assume that must feature in Asian cooking, but we have occasionally used pumpkin seed oil and sesame oil in bread which imparts a nice flavour.

Pumpkin oil & sesame oil have delicious nutty flavor, great used as dressing.

Main oil we use is veg oil, great for frying eggs chips & whatever else.

Mostly ground nut oil for high smoke point in stir fries (with toasted sesame for flavour), and rapeseed for relatively balanced Omega 3 and Omega6 (lots of veg oils have loads of omega 6, but imbalance between 3 and 6 isn’t great apparently). Then olive oil for salads and dressings.

I buy fatty meat and cook in the rendered fat from frying or roasting it. I also use butter occasionally (particularly for vegetables like cabbage or leeks) olive oil for Mediterranean dishes like ratatouille or moussaka. I also occasionally use coconut oil for curries, particularly if I am using coconut milk in the recipe, like the cauliflower and halloumi recipe that I really enjoy and I use real dairy double cream in my morning coffee. I have stopped using vegetable oils like rape seed because I am not sure they are good for us, but I appreciate that many people think that animal fat is not good for us, so it very much comes down to personal opinion.... and taste.
I no longer buy any manufactured "spreads" I try to buy products which are as natural as possible, rather than "manufactured".

I mostly use "light" olive oil now, I used to mostly use virgin coconut oil. Sometimes toasted sesame oil. Butter if I'm making a roux sauce

Canola oil is another good omega balance, and moderate smoke point, similar to olive oil.
Flaxseed oil is a good source of omega 3, has a smoke point too low to cook with.

Canola is a type of rapeseed oil 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back