Cook book advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamt

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello. I have just been diagnosed type 2 and have bought a few cook books and joined the Diabetes society. Upon online recommendations I bought the Phil Vickery Ultimate diabetes cookbook and two by Katie and Giancarlo Caldesi ( 30 minute diabetes cookbook and weight loss cook book).

I am a bit underwhelmed with them.i live the photos and info but I am a 53 year old 'fat northerner' who works too many hours and the meals are not really my kind of thing. I will be cooking some and I can cook but has anyone bought any books that match my work life a bit better?

I work from home so can cook at home most days but when I travel to work I tend to take sandwich with me. My food is very carby and too much bread and rice.

Ideally any cook books that give meals I can prepare and take to work or cook at home. I don't eat sweet things so don't need recipes for those.

Any suggestions would be great and many thanks.

Adam

When I was working I had one of those compartmented chiller packs that some school children use. I would make up a chopped salad of my choice, cover it and put in the frozen pack to keep things cool til lunchtime. You can also put a cooked chicken drumstick (or protein of choice) and an 80 gm portion of fresh berries in other compartments. Another thing I had was one of those wide thermos flasks. I would make homemade vegetable soup and take a portion of that in the flask. It's also good for heated up left over stew. Don't forget the knife, fork and spoon (or a spork - a spork is a hybrid form of cutlery taking the form of a spoon-like shallow scoop with two to four fork-like tines).

If you're not much into cooking, the slow cooker is great. Chuck in prepared vegetables (yes I cheat), stock, seasoning, poultry/meat and leave for 8-10 hours. Does not work with liver or fish (the voice of experience)!

I've tried a few of the diabetic cookbooks but found them too heavy on carbs and fiddly, so do my own thing. Best wishes

Hi and welcome. I'm still pretty new to this too, although I am retired so no lunch at work issues. I bought the Phil Vickery Diabetes Meal Planner and that hasn't grabbed me much either! I tend to search online for recipes that are either diabetes-friendly, low carb or keto - there is a massive amount out there and I've found some very tasty meals which my hubby and son have (mostly) enjoyed - they can have potatoes, chips, rice or whatever with theirs so it suits us all. As you also work from home some bulk cooking and freezing might be an option for lunches-to-go. There are recipes and ideas in here too that are worth looking at, plus the hints and tips. It has been a blessing to be here and to learn as I go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back