Controlled carbs approach to aid BG control

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallycorker

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
.......... but a couple of months ago he went back to the GP for a check again and was told that his blood sugars are continiung to rise and the metformin is not getting his levels under control ( he started with a fasting level of 9 and it was up to 13) the GP has put him onto another tablet, the name of which I forget, but its meant to bring these levels down but the side effect is weight gain!..................
Hi,

Don't sit back and expect the tablets to sort out his situation because they won't.

The best way to get his blood glucose levels under control is through diet. In particular, by cutting out the sugar but also by reducing the amount of starchy carbohydrate that he is eating - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta etc.

Best wishes - John

Hi,

Don't sit back and expect the tablets to sort out his situation because they won't.

The best way to get his blood glucose levels under control is through diet. In particular, by cutting out the sugar but also by reducing the amount of starchy carbohydrate that he is eating - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta etc.

Best wishes - John

That's one view of things John, but it isn't always true of everyone that they can control their levels without medication, nor is it true that medication doesn't work. Attention to diet is important, but certainly people shouldn't feel they have failed if they need some help from meds in order to keep a happy balance in their lives between a restricted diet and quality of life. No amount of carb reduction would mean that I could stop medication, and this can also be true of Type 2. I know that many share your passion for a restricted carb approach, but bear in mind that we are all different and what works for one may be difficult or impossible for another.

yeah i think not being big headed im managing well without and my medication seem now to be doing there job

That's one view of things John, but it isn't always true of everyone that they can control their levels without medication, nor is it true that medication doesn't work. Attention to diet is important, but certainly people shouldn't feel they have failed if they need some help from meds in order to keep a happy balance in their lives between a restricted diet and quality of life. No amount of carb reduction would mean that I could stop medication, and this can also be true of Type 2. I know that many share your passion for a restricted carb approach, but bear in mind that we are all different and what works for one may be difficult or impossible for another.
Hope that I haven't misled you. I'm still taking my metformin medication and will do until my GP decides to take me off it -also, medication for cholesterol and blood pressure.

However, I think that I have come to realise what part of my improvement has been through diet and what has been through the effects of my medication. In my opinion dietary changes are the only way to steer clear of Type 2 being progressive and to avoid complications coming our way.

I understand that we are all different and that's the position that I started from. However, the more I read through these diabetes forums, I'm becoming more and more convinced that there are many other Type 2s who are very similar to me.

In my opinion, what I have achieved has been very easy. Dietary changes were very important - and that was accompanied by weight loss but I don't consider the weight loss played any big part. No change in exercise levels - I still get far too little exercise.

Carbohydrate management has been a very big part of my improvement but I have said many times that I do not consider that I am on a low carbohydrte diet - reduced "yes" but low "no".

Certainly, I would advise that people do not to sit back and wait for the tablets to sort out a Type 2 condition - because I don't think they will prevent progression of the condition.

Thank you for clarifying John. What I didn't want was for people (particularly those newly-diagnosed) to think that taking medication was a waste of time, although it certainly isn't a 'cure' and does need some effort, whether slight or great. You have found a balance that works for you in keeping your levels under control, there may be a combination of different elements that work best for others.

Thank you for clarifying John. What I didn't want was for people (particularly those newly-diagnosed) to think that taking medication was a waste of time.......
Certainly, would never advocate that or even messing about with medications without the approval of one's GP.

That's one view of things John, but it isn't always true of everyone that they can control their levels without medication, nor is it true that medication doesn't work.....

Dear Northerner,

There is a seminal study on Type 2 diabetes called UKPDS (United Kingdom Prospective Diabetes Study) and it lasted over 20 years. There were two cohorts, those on intensive medication and those on conventional treatment. Now it was hailed as a success because those on intensive medication had better outcomes than the others - not by much in absolute terms but nevertheless better. At the start of the study one major aim was a Fasting Plasma Glucose (FPG) of 6mmol/L or less in the intensive group. In order to do this they started on just one oral drug and when in due course this failed to achieve the target they added another and when this failed they were transferred to insulin. After 1 year the median HbA1c was 6.2% and after 10 years it was 8.2%, the conventional group figures were 6.9% and 8.8%. The graphs of HbA1c and FPG showed a relentless increase, which is why I have stated in the past that in the long term oral diabetic drugs do not work well. So your statement: "nor is it true that medication doesn't work..." needs to be viewed in the light of the data from UKPDS. Whallycorker's assertion that controlling carbohydates has resulted in the major part of his excellent improvment is similar to what I have found.

Regards Dodger

Last edited:
Hi, I'm moving these posts to a thread of their own as they are moving away from welcoming a new member to the debate about controlled carbs and efficacy of medication, and I think it's a topic of interest in its own right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back