control question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emzi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well I finally went on the dafne course and im so glad I did!!!

The first day was very scary and I felt totally out of my comfort zone when asked to go into the canteen and test and inject in front of people - im more private but as the days went passed i felt ok plus the group was small consisting of 4 of us including me 🙂

My question now is im carb counting and my ratio is currently 1cp:2units and i am adjusting my background, currently 30 yet my bloods are still consistly 10-15 and im not sure what to do :confused:

im been increasing my back ground slowly from when i did the course in oct and slowly gone from 20 to 30 by going up 2 units at a time but im at a loss how to make the levels come down, do i need to increase my ratio??

Sorry for babbling on but its so important to me now to get on top of this and get consist hba1cs

Thanks for any advice you can give 🙂

I hope some one is along soon to help. Don't worry about babbling, everyone does it from time to time and you had things you needed to say.

Sounds like you are doing just the right thing in trying to get your basal level sorted. Unless you know that's right adjusting bolus doses is a complete nightmare with all sorts of unexpected wobbles since (if your basal is still too low) your bolusses will be covering part of your basal requirement.

Not sure what insulins you are on, but remember that Lantus can take a good few days to settle in to a new dose. Sounds like you are taking things steady though. Always the best bet.

Not done DAFNE, so this may have been mentioned, but did they advise about testing basal at different times of the day? It does involve missing a meal or two, but is a brilliant way of determining if your basal level is too high or too low.

Glad that you got so much out of the course 🙂

Mike

Another good place to start with the basal is overnight.......have no carbs or insulin after dinner, or 5 hours before bed, then see what happens in the morning.............if you held steady from night till morning then the basal dose is pretty much there..........

A carb free day would be ideal if your on Lantus to see if its lasting the full 24 hours, most of the time this is not the case.....

DAFNE is great but I felt they didnt emphasise the importance of the basal dose, this has to be correct for any real understanding of the bolusing to happen, when your background is right, the rules they teach do work....

Head over to the DAFNE Online forum for more advice from other graduates, including myself.

well Iam the same as you emzi I went on DAFNE in September and still carnt get it right one day I am fine and the next BGs up agen. I am on Lantus and have ben told to drop my as I am having the odd low in the morning yesterday BGs were in the 11.0s and then this morning 3,3 I have moved this up and down that much I dont know ware I am with It. But looks as if you are doing the right thing hope you get there good look🙂

Hi, are you in contact with the people who took the course? We got all the contact details and believe me i was in touch regularly at the start after dafne.

As you know you need to look for patterns. sometimes its hard to see the wood from the trees though! As you know only change one thing at a time, be it basal or one ratio. Look at which is concerning you the most and start from there.

Are you testing after meals, this will tell you if its a ratio problem, if these results are ok it may be basal. I know it could be both, if you are waking high, then start with basal only and once you are waking on a good level take it from there. Hope this helps.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the reaasurance :D, im on novorapid and levemir atm.

Can i just check basal is background/levemir and bolus is novo??? :confused:

Thanks
Em

Hi Guys

Can i just check basal is background/levemir and bolus is novo??? :confused:

Thanks
Em

yes thats right, basal is slow acting and bolus is yoour fast acting, x

Good news is that Levemir (from what I've heard) seems to adopt new doses pretty much straight away.

M

Until you have done some basal testing - you might aswell be guessing the bolus for your meals as you have no idea what your working with or needing to change. So, plan to test a whole 24 hours. Dont do this all in one day. Take your time and do it in blocks of 4 or 5 hours - whatever suits you and then write all your numbers down to see what your basals are doing. If and when you are happy with the basals - you can start with the breakfast ratio. Eat the same thing for a few mornings and see what results your getting. When are you injecting for meals - I hope its not after you have eaten as this will make the spike worse.🙂Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back