Control iq

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm on control iq on a tandem t slim pump and need to know how I can change the insulin duration time from 5 hrs to 3 hrs like I used to have before starting control iq as I'm getting high readings

Hello @steveo,

I spoke to the Information Team at Diabetes UK and included a PDF of the t slim x2, but I would highly suggest to check if this is the same pump as you mention in your post.

Chapter 5 has information on insulin delivery services with some sections mentioning insulin delivery time.

The above link also has an option to download an app to explore the interface of the t:slim X2 pump if they are interested in doing that.

If you are finding a change in your blood sugar control, It would be helpful to speak to your healthcare team, but you are more than welcome to call the Diabetes UK helpline for more information. I hope that helps!

Josh

Attachments

I'm on control iq on a tandem t slim pump and need to know how I can change the insulin duration time from 5 hrs to 3 hrs like I used to have before starting control iq as I'm getting high readings
As your duration would be 5 hours and not 3, it would suggest to me that there's something wrong with either your basal or bolus amounts or the delivery method of your bolus.

Have a read of this https://www.diabettech.com/insulin/...n-action-dia-times-we-use-and-why-it-matters/

Last edited:
I found that when I went over to closed loop (Medtronic rather than t Slim) I needed to change my action time for the Novorapid. It is one of the few variables that I can change, as the pump is determining the basal delivery and adjusting this every 5 minutes.

Variables available to me:
Action time of insulin
Target glucose level.
Meal ratios

I think you are also able to set different basal rate profiles on which the auto basal adjustments are based for the T Slim when in closed loop. It might be worth checking those And that the correct one is active at any one time.

Hello @steveo,

I spoke to the Information Team at Diabetes UK and included a PDF of the t slim x2, but I would highly suggest to check if this is the same pump as you mention in your post.

Chapter 5 has information on insulin delivery services with some sections mentioning insulin delivery time.

The above link also has an option to download an app to explore the interface of the t:slim X2 pump if they are interested in doing that.

If you are finding a change in your blood sugar control, It would be helpful to speak to your healthcare team, but you are more than welcome to call the Diabetes UK helpline for more information. I hope that helps!

Josh
Thanks Josh that's very helpful

Unfortunately you cannot change the duration of insulin action when using Control IQ.

You can change your active profile as your basal insulin needs change through the year (and your meal ratios and insulin sensitivity / correction factors) which will affect the way Control IQ works and calculates it's doses / basal adjustments.

That's what I found helpful when CIQ either isn't quite keeping up... or is over-reaching. 🙂

As a precaution I find it helpful to copy my existing profile into a blank 'slot' and make my changes there - that way I can always switch back if it all goes a bit pear shaped! :rofl:

Hi Steveo
I think you are meaning how long a dose stays in the insulin on board which is managed longer on the IQ pump than managing yourself as the pump will adjust as it goes. I don't think you can change that but you can maybe tweek your correction factor. I have been on control IQ for a few months now and I struggled until I learned to trust it. I was told it didn't deal with correcting over 15 as well as under but you can give a couple of units yourself and check ketones, could be you need to change set. One historic habit of mine was to inject for food then wait for bs to drop enough which sometimes took ages, the pump sees bs dropping and reduces/stops basel to compensate which ends up resulting in a high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back