Control going to pot Why???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabeticblue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Now then you clever lot I would like some answers if poss. Since being diagnosed earlier this year my control has been pretty good,HBA1C down from 10.2 on diagnosis to 8 and then down to 6.1 at last test. The last couple of months have seen my bg numbers going somewhat strange. Fasting have been as high as 12.7 but no lower than 8.2, post meal figures as high as 18.3.

I have had no real changes in diet etc. The DN put my insulin up from 26 to 30 and then up again to 34 but this does not appear to have had the desired effect. She is now talking about me going from my single jab per day to twice daily which has me a little concerned. I get my latest HBA1C results this Friday and I'm hoping they may show why my numbers are so yuk. Has anyone else had something similar, am I worrying about nothing???

Chris

Has anything else changed recently? Your diet? are you eating more carbs than before?
Taking less exercise now that the weather has turned? Been under more stress? Been ill/any infections? Any of those could cause an increase in levels.

It does seem like you need some insulin that will control you post meal levels, as they are very high. Your once daily insulin I suspect is levemir or lantus are flat in profile so will not be helping with the levels after you are eating.

Twice daily insulin I suspect will be a mix of fast and long acting insulin, so the fast will help with controlling post eating levels. Usually novomix 30 or one of the humalog mixes 25 or 50. Here is a thread that talks about going on mixed insulin and some advantages and disadvantages http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=4539&highlight=novomix

It may be that your diabetes is progressing and you beta cells are just unable to produce the same amount of insulin that they once could.

Last edited:
Nikki, thanks for that, the DN did say that it is "progressive" and yes your right I am on Lantus. My eating/excercise pattern has not changed just the numbers.

When i started on insulin I was on novomix 30 which i injected twice a day, but ended up injecting something like 68 units and i still wasnt feeling any better so then went to 4 injections a day, and am now on 5 as I split my long acting insulin (Levemir) into morning and night doses, mind you that is now 66u in the morning and 58u at night.. my novorapid can go up to 44u depending on what i have eaten.. hope that the change of insulin helps you 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back