Continuously changing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munjeeta

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello again!

I had finally got my morning blood sugars down to within range by increasing my lantus (from 11 to 14) and also by taking it later in the evening. But... On Saturday and Sunday mornings I suddenly started waking up hypo (mid 3's). Considering both nights-before I had had nearly a bottle of wine I put it down to that, until I woke up hypo on Monday morning too, after no wine the previous evening. So I put my evening levemir back DOWN a unit and woke up this morning with a blood sugar of 6. WOnderful. But will it not ever just stay the same?! Will I have to KEEP changing my doses?! 🙄

And today I have had 2 hypos at school. At lunch I ate as usual and took a 1.5 unit ratio to every 10 grams of CHO. Mid afternoon I was 17 🙂eek🙂 but luckily didn't correct as by half 4 I was 3.5 :confused: I have already reduced my daytime levemir to 5 from 6 to avoid falls, but how to I avoid a 17 peak and then a 3 fall?? (I'm thinking by increasing my ratio at lunchtime and decreasing daytime levemir, again, but I'm only on 5 units of levemir in the morning as it is...) I'm so confused... Every time I think I'm getting somewhere the goalposts move! One thing is that (sorry boys!) my period was due last week, and that can elevate my levels, but levels being GOOD last week maybe I need to reduce my 'normal' regime. Whatever that happens to be... There are so many variables!!

I know its so difficult isnt it. I change my basal settings all the time, my ratios not too much, however i do alterr ratio depending on what im doing. Fot instance if not working and not going to be too busy increase my lunchtime ratio, if working i stick to 1:1cp

Re the period thing, some months my levels increase and others they dont so difficult to gaue, but if you were normal range and are usually high at this time, then maybe you do need to tweak your levemir at that time of the month?

Hi
I am wondering if the alcohol you consumed on Saturday was still in your system Monday morning; i find the affects of alcohol can remain for quite sometime after. I also find that once i have 'got rid' of this that i have a tendency to go a little high again straight after as my body tries to settle down again.
Not sure there is any answer other than limiting your intake of alcohol to a couple of glasses. I recognise your problem precisely, so please don't think i'm judging; i like a glass of wine with the best of 'em! Very nice too.

Hope you don't mind me saying but alcohol can also make you 'lose' some of the background insulin in your system - down the drain i mean! and this can also lead to a short-term high reading.
Didn't mean to be quite so graphic but i'm only saying what i've experienced myself occasionally.😱
Anyway, hope it all resolves itself. Which part of Surrey you from?

Last edited:
I know its so difficult isnt it. I change my basal settings all the time, my ratios not too much, however i do alterr ratio depending on what im doing. Fot instance if not working and not going to be too busy increase my lunchtime ratio, if working i stick to 1:1cp

Re the period thing, some months my levels increase and others they dont so difficult to gaue, but if you were normal range and are usually high at this time, then maybe you do need to tweak your levemir at that time of the month?

Yeah... I think I maybe need to throw my inhibitions out of the window and react to what's happening rather than worrying about possibly not taking enough. I've been hypoing almost constantly the last few days! 3 yesterday, 2 todays. Avoiding most bounces except an 18 this morning :(

Hi
I am wondering if the alcohol you consumed on Saturday was still in your system Monday morning; i find the affects of alcohol can remain for quite sometime after. I also find that once i have 'got rid' of this that i have a tendency to go a little high again straight after as my body tries to settle down again.
Not sure there is any answer other than limiting your intake of alcohol to a couple of glasses. I recognise your problem precisely, so please don't think i'm judging; i like a glass of wine with the best of 'em! Very nice too.

Hope you don't mind me saying but alcohol can also make you 'lose' some of the background insulin in your system - down the drain i mean! and this can also lead to a short-term high reading.
Didn't mean to be quite so graphic but i'm only saying what i've experienced myself occasionally.😱
Anyway, hope it all resolves itself. Which part of Surrey you from?

No, thanks for your ideas! I do find that alcohol only tends to affect me the night I drink it and the next morning. I don't generally have too much of a high bounceback but if I am high before bed after drinking I don't tend to worry too much as I fall over night.

I'm in Woking. Are you from Surrey too?

Yeah... I think I maybe need to throw my inhibitions out of the window and react to what's happening rather than worrying about possibly not taking enough. I've been hypoing almost constantly the last few days! 3 yesterday, 2 todays. Avoiding most bounces except an 18 this morning :(

No, thanks for your ideas! I do find that alcohol only tends to affect me the night I drink it and the next morning. I don't generally have too much of a high bounceback but if I am high before bed after drinking I don't tend to worry too much as I fall over night.

I'm in Woking. Are you from Surrey too?

Hope you don't fall over at night too often!🙂
Yes, i'm near Hampton Court so not too far from Woking. Nice to know i'm not the only type 1 in Surrey. Notice there are a few others on here and having a meet up in April. Hope to get an opportunity to meet you then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back