Continuous Glucose Monitoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brend

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm a Type2 diabetic but saw some ads about Dexcom. Because my sugars fluctuate up and down so frequently, would it be worth considering a Dexcom?. Anyone else tried/using?. Thoughts?

An alternative to Dexcom is Freestyle Libre. It is not quite a good as you have to scan the sensor with NFC rather than receiving the data by Bluetooth.
I mention Libre because they have a free 2 week trial from their website which will give you an idea whether paying for a CGM is worth the money for you.

Thanks for info. Unsure what the repeat costs would be for replace patch/unit that attaches to arm?

Hi @Brend , I'm also Type 2 and took up the Libre 2 free trial. I found it extremely useful in showing me how my blood glucose level behaved at all those situations where finger-prick testing is impractical. I learnt a lot about spikes and troughs, both stuff I didn't expect and confirming what I did expect. I also used the information in dialogue with my GP. I would recommend anyone to take the trial.
At £50 per sensor, I'm not going to use one regularly!
Fortunately (?) my first sensor failed after 8 days, so they sent me another. I used that several months later, to see the impact of diet changes (positive!)...and as that sensor also occasionally failed to scan, they've sent me another which I'll use in a few months time.
IT IS NOT a substitute for HbA1c tests, but a great aid.
Hope this helps.
Nick.

Thanks for info. Unsure what the repeat costs would be for replace patch/unit that attaches to arm?
The pricing is straightforward enough: you need a sensor each 14 days, so you need 26 a year. So about £1300 annually.

Dexcom One has a similar pricing, £299 for three months. (Each sensor lasts 10 days.) Oh, I see that says "Tax included", so maybe one can remove VAT from that which would make it lower than Libre?

There's a couple of others that are kind of similar in price (a little lower) but people say they're not quite as good.

Libre has the advantage that it's easy to use a sensor just when you want (you could use one every two months, for example). The others need a transmitter which has its own battery and possible need for replacement.

The Libre site have a box to tick to get the VAT deducted when you purchase.

The Libre site have a box to tick to get the VAT deducted when you purchase.
It does, so definitely use that. They also now show the price before VAT on the website (previously they showed the after-VAT price until you got to the paying stage). I just wondered if that meant the 3 month price for Dexcom One was in fact ~£250, which would make it about £1000 a year (compared to about £1300 for Libre).

(I don't care enough to check. I'm fine with Libre and anyway either of them would be on prescription for me.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back