Contentment and thanks

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I had a face to face meeting with my counsellor for the first time in months today.

It was so good to reflect on the progress I feel I have made during lockdown in spite of the horrors we are going through at present. I find things difficult at the start, no doubt like so many others. However in lockdown I found we had time together where my Diabetes did not impact anyone else, and it was simply our ‘normal’ that we were dealing with each day.

I found it harder when things relaxed as people had different expectations. However I found a balance and stuck to what we felt we needed to do. I know that we are in a bubble of retirement so it is a lot easier for us. I found the regular news reports about the impact of Diabetes on outcomes for those that catch Covid. However the regular updates from DUK were very helpful in settling my worries.

I feel somehow I have become more confident to ask for help where I need it, and accepting the vagaries of T1. Perfection is impossible, I need whatever insulin I need, and I do the best that I can. I have even composed a choral work based on this.

Just wanted to celebrate with you, many of whom have helped to get me to this position, and say thanks for the practical tips and support that I have had from this forum. There will be wobbles ahead, but it feels so much more manageable now.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Great to hear you say you have become more accepting @SB2015 - Dee's a bedfellow none of us ever wanted, but it does get easier to cope with if you aren't constantly wanting to wrestle with it. We all have better, much more rewarding things to do with our lives than that, so don't waste energy. Just accept the rules it imposes with a good grace - and get on with your life!

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks @trophywench

I am surprised by just how much more relaxed I feel about everything. I know I have only just got back from holiday but then in retirement that makes little difference, apart from less prebolusing and more guessed carbs when away.

Covid is still a concern with the reports for us, but I have no control over the reports and for me I feel there is a balance to be found in what we choose to do. Life goes on and is much more fun.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
We are just back from a week in Pembrokeshire which has been red hot, on a rally with about 15 like minded vans and motorhomes, the vast majority of occupants who we already knew and already liked. Because it's Wales, we could still meet outdoors for coffee mornings (bring your own coffee!) afternoon teas etc and numerous games of boules on grass rather than a proper boules pitch which is a smaller area. Every bit properly socially distanced and each couple staying 2m away from the next person.

We arrived and left on Thursday, Day 1 Pete drives Moho round to fresh water tap to fill up - pressure really low so gets chatting to closest other van on campsite. They live in Pontypridd (aargghh!) and had already been on site for a fortnight and had therefore just been and paid for another week, since they'd be locked down if they went home. Spoke to them again as we left this Thursday - and they'd just been and paid for another week!

We were very tempted ourselves, but both have GP appointments next week so came home, just as well we did since once we had a phone signal (mobile phones all 'No Service' where we were pitched and though you can get a signal in some places round the site, we simply did not even try) and internet again (we don't have Mifi) we'd both got appointments for our flu jabs today so we've been and had them like good children.

The world hasn't suddenly ended in our absence, no surprise! If it were imminent, neither of us could change it anyway, so why panic!

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
We are just back from a week in Pembrokeshire which has been red hot, on a rally with about 15 like minded vans and motorhomes, the vast majority of occupants who we already knew and already liked. Because it's Wales, we could still meet outdoors for coffee mornings (bring your own coffee!) afternoon teas etc and numerous games of boules on grass rather than a proper boules pitch which is a smaller area. Every bit properly socially distanced and each couple staying 2m away from the next person.

We arrived and left on Thursday, Day 1 Pete drives Moho round to fresh water tap to fill up - pressure really low so gets chatting to closest other van on campsite. They live in Pontypridd (aargghh!) and had already been on site for a fortnight and had therefore just been and paid for another week, since they'd be locked down if they went home. Spoke to them again as we left this Thursday - and they'd just been and paid for another week!

We were very tempted ourselves, but both have GP appointments next week so came home, just as well we did since once we had a phone signal (mobile phones all 'No Service' where we were pitched and though you can get a signal in some places round the site, we simply did not even try) and internet again (we don't have Mifi) we'd both got appointments for our flu jabs today so we've been and had them like good children.

The world hasn't suddenly ended in our absence, no surprise! If it were imminent, neither of us could change it anyway, so why panic!
Glad you had a good time away.
A change is as good as a rest.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It is - and we've suddenly got tans again - that was an unexpected bonus.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So lovely to read this @SB2015

Increased contentment is exactly what everyone should be aiming for - but far too few manage!

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Mike

I know there have been ups and downs before but this feels so different.
I shall enjoy it however long it lasts, and use the opportunity to identify what it is that has helped.

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
We love Pembrokeshire and have had two recent holidays there, staying just outside Narberth. Oddly, although I was born and grew up in the neighbouring county (Carmarthenshire), it wasn't until I was living in Berkshire that I actually went to Pembrokeshire.

Martin

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Having posted the link to my posts for someone, from when I had a period of burnout/depression, I decided to read through them. It is so good to reflect back on this. So may of you chipped in and owned up to finding Diabetes difficult to live with.

I feel that it is good for others to know that plenty of us have moments when D becomes difficult and it gets us down, but that we come out the other side. It also shows the level of support available on this forum. It was good to read through.