Consuming high-protein breakfasts helps women maintain glucose control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
In healthy individuals, the amount of glucose, or sugar, in the blood increases after eating. When glucose increases, levels of insulin increase to carry the glucose to the rest of the body. Previous research has shown that extreme increases in glucose and insulin in the blood can lead to poor glucose control and increase an individual's risk of developing diabetes over time. Now, a University of Missouri researcher has found that when women consumed high-protein breakfasts, they maintained better glucose and insulin control than they did with lower-protein or no-protein meals.

"For women, eating more protein in the morning can beneficially affect their glucose and insulin levels," said Heather Leidy, an assistant professor of nutrition and exercise physiology. "If you eat healthy now and consume foods that help you control your glucose levels, you may be protecting yourself from developing diabetes in the future."

http://www.sciencecodex.com/consumi...aintain_glucose_control_mu_study_finds-132671

Are these 1st yr students? Carbs cause rapid spikes, protein doesn't. Duh!

I was trying to eat more protein for breakfast but I find I feel very sick later on in morning if I do that, had to go back to carbs when I do eat breakfast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back