Consultant warns NICE diabetic foot care quality standard statement 'flawed'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Diabetes targets will 'punish' GP commissioners and the NHS for failing to follow standards not in existing guidelines, a leading consultant has warned.

The NICE quality standard statement for diabetic foot care, which will be used to hold GP commissioners to account, is 'flawed' and must be rethought, according to consultant Professor William Jeffcoate.

It comes after Diabetes UK Professional Conference 2012 urged the NHS in England to tackle the 'postcode lottery' in foot care to avoid thousands of preventable amputations each year.

http://www.gponline.com/News/articl...-foot-care-quality-standard-statement-flawed/

Rather unfortunate statement:

'Diabetic foot remains the 'Cinderella' of diabetes.'

If Cinders was diabetic and lived in the wrong postcode, there's every possibility that there would be no foot to place the glass slipper on, especially since she left the Ball barefoot after losing it! 😱

I'm getting very confused with this one.

If DUK were involved in the initial consultation then why are they getting upset?

I'm getting very confused with this one.

If DUK were involved in the initial consultation then why are they getting upset?

I think the point the guy is making is that, although they were consulted, the wording is too imprecise to measure whether the correct actions are being put into practice. :confused: DUK wouldn't have been instrumental in signing off the final wording, I imagine.

Hmmmmm - I'm not sure our (teaching!) hospital even has a multidisciplinary team just yet, althought I know moves were 'afoot' to start one about 6 months ago LOL

No GP can refer a patient to a team that doesn't exist, can he?

I don't know if you remember this thread?

The member here was not getting the right treatment for his ulcer, and I did recommend that he was referred to a "one stop shop" at Kings College where all disciplines would take over his care. This Hospital was highlighted in 2009 so one wonders how many more have been arranged since then. As TW says, if the place isn't there, how do you get the treatment?
http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=25613&highlight=Kings+College+Hospital

If you are reading this Byungdohsuh, please let us know how things are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back