Constant Lows

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharp00782

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi

After being diagnosed about 3 months ago I have been doing well. Last week to 10 days I’m suffering constant lows. I reduced my Levirmir to 8 from 10 as was going low at night and waking up around 3.7. I have lowered my novorapid with meals but constantly go to 3.1 ish about 4 times a day. Not experiencing any hypo symptoms. Sometimes if I’m low I won’t even have novorapid with a meal.

Any advice welcome as this stressing me out.

It is not uncommon for your few remaining beta cells to get a second wind and start churning out a bit more insulin once you have been helping them out with injected insulin, so assuming you have checked the low readings and it isn't a fault on your Libre then you need to keep reducing your insulin doses. Since the low readings seem to be throughout the day rather than a particular meal, I would be reducing Levemir more. Do you just inject it once a day or are you on split dose?

There are some members her who had a short speel a month or 2 after diagnosis where they needed almost no insulin at all, but gradually they had to increase their doses again. This is part of the honeymoon period and it can be quite unpredictable.

Can I suggest that it would be quite helpful to record your insulin doses and carbs on your Libre as it really helps to understand the context of what is going on with your levels, particularly during this difficult period.... Not saying you need to do it forever more although I personally fnd it really helpful, but when things are not going smoothly, it makes it much easier for others to look at it and figure out what is going on.

Have you confirmed that you really are low with test strips?Hi,

So I have just tested with the Libra and test strip. Libra says I am at 4.8 and test strips reports 9.4. Both tests done at the same time. Not sure I trust my Libra anymore!

So I have just tested with the Libra and test strip. Libra says I am at 4.8 and test strips reports 9.4. Both tests done at the same time. Not sure I trust my Libra anymore!
No, it's probably just a bad sensor (or one that's not working properly for some reason, anyway). So do a few more test strip comparisons and then report it to Abbott.

Testing with a strip is always good to confirm lows and highs. Also, test whenever you feel the Libre reading doesn’t gel with how you’re feeling, eg if the Libre says 5.8 but you’re feeling like you’re going low, test with your meter.

Are your levels stable when you tested just now? If they are rising or falling fast or changing direction then Libre will not be accurate. I always choose a time to double check it when my levels have been stable in the 5s or 6s for at least half an hour.
You should always double check any low (hypo) readings you get and check again 15 mins later with a finger prick because Libre will usually show your levels have continued to drop and perhaps cause you to take more hypo treatment at the 15 min mark whereas a finger prick will usually show you are recovering and don't need any more hypo treatment.

I know that feeling! Abbot may ask for some readings showing libre against blood monitor- normally 4 are enough, so get those as evidence and then get that rubbish monitor off, save it in case they want it sent back, and pop on a nice new reliable one. I love my libre...most of the time.

Sorry to hear you may have had some misleading readings from your Libre @sharp00782

Sometimes the filament doesn’t quite sit right in the skin, or reach the right depth to read the interstitial fluid properly. It can be helpful to do a few cross-checks early in a sensor’s life (but after it has had a chance to ‘bed in’) to see how it is reading compared to fingersticks.

Hopefully Abbott will send you a replacement.

If the lows reported on your Libre are always at night, I would consider whether they are compression lows (false lows when pressure is applied to the sensor such as when you lie on it).
As others have said you can test these with finger prick tests.
And maybe consider where you place your next sensor such that you are less likely to lie on it.

So this sensor is way out! Due to be changed today. These are a few readings:

4/12 - 15:53 Sensor 7.9 - Finger Prick 11.5
4/12 - 17:52 Sensor 8.7 - Finger Prick 14.7
5/12 - 06:42 Sensor 3.0 - Finger Prick 8.2
5/12 - 11:50 Sensor 2.9 - Finger Prick 5.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back