Considering switching from Medtronic 780g to Ypsomed Pump

Type1since98

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi, I'm brandnew here, but have type 1 for over 25 years. Have been using medtronic pumps since 2010 and currently on 780g , my warranty is up in the new year and was considering switching to they Ypsomed pump. Has anyone switch from Medtronic to Ypsomed? It seems very promising regarding imporving TIR, Which is already good on the medtronic varies between 70-80% TIR but always room for improvement 🙂, would love to get some peoples experiences as its very hard to find info on people who has made the switch! Thanks!

Welcome @Type1since98 🙂 There are some Ypsomed users here but I’m not sure what they swapped from. Some are new to pumping altogether.

I’ve done a search for you so you can read threads that mention the Ypsomed while you’re waiting for more replies:

@Inka thanks a million for your quick reply ,i'll have a look at that thread , but would really love real life experience from someone who made the switch , 4 years is a long commitment , theres loads of info about the pump itself but finding it hard to find people who's switched from medtronic

I think @Matchless has used Medtronic at some point and now uses Ypsomed, but I don’t know if they used other pumps in between those two.

Are you looping with your Medtronic? You’ve been on the same pump brand for ages so I understand your concern. I’ve been pumping more than 20 years and have used 4 or 5 different pumps. It’s always a bit of a worry swapping but usually the new pump turns out to be great. The important thing is to do your research beforehand to make sure what you choose is the right pump for you as an individual. I wouldn’t bother about TIR personally. To my mind, that’s down to the user not the pump.

Thanks again for replying!, I should of said im on closed loop with medtronic! I love the idea of given a bolus from my phone but not sure if the increasing basal on ypsomed would be as effecient as the autocorrections 😳 nearly afraid to make the switch but at the same time want to!

Does the Ypsomed use CamAPS? Others here use that loop but with different pumps, eg the Dana i pump.

Yes Yposmed uses camsaps with mylife loop or something i think?so its a closed loop system but soley uses the app for the closed loop, so if phone is dead your back on set basals as far as i'm aware

CamAPS is supposed to be excellent. I use my phone to control my pump and my phone has never died. Even if it did, I could use my pump. I presume the Ypsomed has a similar option, but I wouldn’t think a dead phone was that common because we all rely on our phones for everything now!

I am a 780 user and when time was up on first pump I have decided to stick with 780 but will switch to the new Simplera Sensor in the closed loop. I have been looping for four years in 780 and found it very successful for me. I like not having to do the thinking in between the meals, I like sleeping at night and knowing that the autocorrections over night will bring me back in target in the morning.

I hear Prof Rob Andrew’s talking about elite sports and was in praise of the CamAPS for the flexibility. I am no longer after such flexibility and happy with the performance of the Medtronic. Like you I find it irritating that I have to get the pump out to do bo,uses and stuff or to address alarms. However I have found ways round that and like not having to have my phone with me all the time.

The new sensors are applied in the same way as a Libre, which will be a lot easier than the charging and insertion of the transmitter and the oval tapes. Another bonus with just the extra bit of pairing the new one, which has the transmitter built into it.

Whatever you choose the four years passes so quickly and things are changing so fast. Worth a try of a different system and see if it improves things for you, not just in the numbers but in how you want it to work for you.

Thanks for your reply @SB2015 , like you , i have found medtronic amazing and it's really improved my overall control too , just looking at options since I'm comin up to the end of the 4 years, I don't know if anyone has made the change , and regret it or not

Back