Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diebetic1985Matthew

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Last night i was 13.5 befor bed so i took a correction dose this was at 10.30pm then checked two and half hour laters and was 8.5 but then when i woke up this morning i was 12.5 how does that work ?

Think this mornings result might be dawn phenomena. because it has beena while since you last had food, your liver dumps glucose into your system. Your organs need energy to continue to work, even when you're sleeping, so at some point your liver pumps some more glucose into your system to give energy to your organs.

I'm on tablets, so not sure how insulin users correct. I'm sure someone will be along before long who can help.

Matthew - this could be due to a number of things - as Caroline says the dawn phenomenon, or your basal insulin not being correct.

Are you normally high in the mornings? Did you get up any later than normal?

i am about 10 to 12 in mornings but normally when i am high in morning i am normally 11-13 when i go to bed but i was 8.5 2 and half hours after correction dose and dident even eat anythink :(

could be the dawn phenomenom.

question to everyone: could it be combated by eating something very low/no carb just before bed, so your liver doesn't feel the urge to chuck all it's glucose overboard?

I have heard of people eating peanut butter before bed to combat it, but I have never tried it myself. I would be interesed to hear from anyone who has.

could be the dawn phenomenom.

question to everyone: could it be combated by eating something very low/no carb just before bed, so your liver doesn't feel the urge to chuck all it's glucose overboard?

Good question Shiv....Just to add this in for good measure that I don't eat before going to bed and i invariably wake up with low blood glucose but that may be because of my Lantus doses or goodness knows what else. Also, i eat so late most of the time due to getting home from work and putting little one to bed its about 8/8.30 before i eat my dinner! Not good at times.

Mind you this isn't an intelligent answer like others will give and i had never heard of the dawn phenomenum before joining this site 😉 I think i have just been plodding along with what i do not really understanding why, hence i am on hear wanting to learn even though i should really know it 10 times over by now!

Sorry for waffling on 😱

Bernie xx

Good question Shiv....Just to add this in for good measure that I don't eat before going to bed and i invariably wake up with low blood glucose but that may be because of my Lantus doses or goodness knows what else. Also, i eat so late most of the time due to getting home from work and putting little one to bed its about 8/8.30 before i eat my dinner! Not good at times.

Mind you this isn't an intelligent answer like others will give and i had never heard of the dawn phenomenum before joining this site 😉 I think i have just been plodding along with what i do not really understanding why, hence i am on hear wanting to learn even though i should really know it 10 times over by now!

Sorry for waffling on 😱

Bernie xx

bernie - i always used to wake up low every morning, whatever dose of lantus i had (i took it at night). now i'm taking the injection in the morning, and out of the 4 days/nights i've been doing it, i've only woken up low once. might be worth a thought?

If I'm below 8 when I go to bed I have a packet of crisps. Most mornings I wake up with exactly the same reading as I went to bed with, but I'm not sure it isn't a result of my Levemir levels. Even when I've gone to bed with an 11.9 reading I end up with a 5-6 range reading - it's a bit weird, it's like I have a lower barrier that I can't get through.

I am currently having the same problem with my son. He was correct at bed time, correct at 12 am then 15 - 17 in morning. I tried getting up with him 12am and 3 am he was fine so changed the times to 1.30am and 4.30am, then fitted the senor changed his basal settings, thought we were getting on track. He has a viral infection and woke up Tuesday morning 6.3 after a trip to doc for his temp and lifeless behaviour (bloods still level) they found +++glucose and+++ketones in his urine and we got sent to hospital. No explanation for it😡. Last night hypoed at 1.30am 2.6 so im back to square 1. :confused:

Lifes a bitch and then you hypo. I have found that cheese and crackers before bed puts my morning readings up, have you tried something like that?

bernie - i always used to wake up low every morning, whatever dose of lantus i had (i took it at night). now i'm taking the injection in the morning, and out of the 4 days/nights i've been doing it, i've only woken up low once. might be worth a thought?

Hmmm thanks a lot Shiv, you know i may try that as i cannot remember the last time I woke up high (well other than when i forgot to take my insulin one night doh) and it really mucks me up. Do you mind me asking how you did such a swap over as you will at one point have too much insulin if you inject twice in 24 hours (if that makes sense)?

Thanks a lot hun....

Bernie xx 🙂

this was what i was advised to do, i take 26u:

take half my usual lantus at nighttime (i took 13), then take the full amount (26) in the morning. i was worried about it, but it actually worked out fine. levels stayed normal as if i hadn't moved it. just for reference, i took my half-amount of lantus at about midnight, and did the full amount at 9am. i kept a darn good eye on the levels all day and the next night, just in case, but i found things stayed as normal.

Bernie beat me to it - i just came to edit to say this is obviously not advice and any changes should be made in agreement with your medical team, etc etc.

Last edited:
this was what i was advised to do, i take 26u:

take half my usual lantus at nighttime (i took 13), then take the full amount (26) in the morning. i was worried about it, but it actually worked out fine. levels stayed normal as if i hadn't moved it. just for reference, i took my half-amount of lantus at about midnight, and did the full amount at 9am. i kept a darn good eye on the levels all day and the next night, just in case, but i found things stayed as normal.

You know what darn it...its nearly midnight and I have a day off tomorrow 🙂
I am going to do it. Every morning i have a low sugar and am forever counter acting this, its quite frankly getting to me. I am talking years this has happened 😱

I think because i have to think of so many other things i forget about myself so i am going to give it a go. Watch this space and hubbys a medic so alls good there 😉

I'll let you know how it goes.....Thanks a lot for the advice and just incase others say wait to speak with someone, to be honest i am not that fussed and don't worry its my decision....Bernie xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back