'Confusion' over how active we should be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
New Year, new you. If you're at all typical, you might be thinking it's time to do a bit more exercise and lose a few pounds. Michael Mosley asks how much, and how often?

Government guidelines say adults should do at least two and a half hours of moderate activity each week - or one and a quarter hours of vigorous activity - or a combination of the two.

It can be confusing, but that alone probably doesn't explain why only a third of adults are meeting the recommended amounts.

Much of the research on health recommendations comes from the American College of Sports Medicine, which has been studying levels of public fitness since the 1950s.

The World Health Organization also says physical inactivity is the fourth largest contributor to global deaths, and increases risk of some cancers, diabetes and heart disease.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20860590

LOL, I see that eg shoving a trolley round a supermarket, scrubbing kitchen floors, moving heavy furniture to vacuum under it, mowing lawns and raking.collecting cuttings or digging up self seeded buddleia trees, sawing them up and heaving them into the trailer to take down the tip, or unloading at the tip, don't count.

My muscles disagree for some reason ..... otherwise, why on earth do any of these send me hypo?

LOL, I see that eg shoving a trolley round a supermarket, scrubbing kitchen floors, moving heavy furniture to vacuum under it, mowing lawns and raking.collecting cuttings or digging up self seeded buddleia trees, sawing them up and heaving them into the trailer to take down the tip, or unloading at the tip, don't count.

My muscles disagree for some reason ..... otherwise, why on earth do any of these send me hypo?

Gardening is the activity most likely to send me hypo! 😱

Thats where you are going wrong, you should carry the buddleia logs to the top instead of using a trailer😛

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back