Confusion about healthy choices!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathy s

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi so far managed to keep my bloods below7.5 today quite pleased!!
I've been following a low carb, high ( good)fat diet, hba1c lowered and cholesterol back into safe figures. Been reading the how to cope guides on the main diabetes uk site. Some of their recipies confuse me! Some of them are potato heavy or suggesting the use of root veggies. I also saw them suggest a pudding and using yogurt instead of double cream. The best one of all was if out for a meal and there is a wait ask for a bread roll! I stopped reading then. So am I wrong in what I thought was a good way of controlling my type 2? There seems to he much conflicting advice!

Hi so far managed to keep my bloods below7.5 today quite pleased!!
I've been following a low carb, high ( good)fat diet, hba1c lowered and cholesterol back into safe figures. Been reading the how to cope guides on the main diabetes uk site. Some of their recipies confuse me! Some of them are potato heavy or suggesting the use of root veggies. I also saw them suggest a pudding and using yogurt instead of double cream. The best one of all was if out for a meal and there is a wait ask for a bread roll! I stopped reading then. So am I wrong in what I thought was a good way of controlling my type 2? There seems to he much conflicting advice!
I think the advice to ask for a bread roll is for insulin users who have injected in anticipation of their meal, so they need to eat or hypo.
Once you become familiar with the things you can eat it isn't difficult to make low carb choices, or chose either a full fat yoghurt or cream as suits your personal plan for the meal.

The recipes are there for individuals to choose what suits them. ‘People with diabetes’ covers a wide range of people in different situations and with different types of diabetes. Some might be children with Type 1, some might be Type 3c, some might be trying to lose weight, some to gain weight, some might be pregnant and on insulin, some might be breastfeeding and needing extra carbs and calories, etc. Just because a recipe doesn’t suit you, doesn’t mean it won’t suit someone else 🙂

Bread rolls aren’t forbidden, and, as Drummer says, might be needed by people on insulin or simply wanted by others. People here follow a variety of diets. You should eat what suits you 🙂

I realise I was thinking about this from my t2 position and whatvi fond works. I miss bread but it spikes me so much!

I realise I was thinking about this from my t2 position and whatvi fond works. I miss bread but it spikes me so much!
There are fairly low carb breads, I can get black bread from the Polish grocery store, but I experimented with my own recipes and found that using a bread maker machine did not work as the second kneading knocked all the puff out of the dough. I made a dough with half the normal amount of flour, in a stand mixer and after the first proving I gently mixed in the seeds and low carb nut flours then waited for the dough to rise again even if it took all day or night

Hi. You are right. The diet advice on the DUK website has never been ideal and is one of the reasons I resigned a few years back. You need to make your own choices and understand that all of the many 'Establishments' tend to follow each other and the NHS is not a good start point either. That's one of the many reasons these forums are really useful for us as they take in views form a wider field of knowledge.

We’re all individual @kathy s and you need to do what works for you 🙂

I also think it’s worth remembering that a lot of people eat very poor diets, with an over-reliance on ultra-processed foods and takeaways, so the Diabetes U.K. recipes will probably be a vast improvement. They’re also great for Type 1s and others on insulin as they’re healthy and carb-counted. I like them. They also have gluten-free recipes for the people with coeliac disease or an intolerance.

@DaveB If you’re saying that you stopped being a member simply because of the recipes/food, then I find that very sad. To be blunt, the more money DUK has the more they can support people and the quicker they can find a cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back