Confusing sugar reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzard

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I noticed that for the past two days, my fasting reading (before breakfast) was around 11. I had, on both days, only 2 boiled eggs for breakfast. Took my regular tablets, Reading before lunch (4 hours later) was around 13. No other food between bfast and lunch. Cannot understand this.

I noticed that for the past two days, my fasting reading (before breakfast) was around 11. I had, on both days, only 2 boiled eggs for breakfast. Took my regular tablets, Reading before lunch (4 hours later) was around 13. No other food between bfast and lunch. Cannot understand this.
Did you double check your readings as if it is way off what you normally get I would suspect either something on your fingers or dodgy strips.
If you have just had your vaccination or are getting some lurgy then that can increase blood glucose.

Did you double check your readings as if it is way off what you normally get I would suspect either something on your fingers or dodgy strips.
If you have just had your vaccination or are getting some lurgy then that can increase blood glucose.
Strips were tested. I have had flu / covid jabs recently though.

I get a lift in my BGs when I get out of bed from my liver ‘helpfully’ dumping a little glucose to help fire up the burners for the day.

So a bump of 2mmol/L (or more) with no carbs would be pretty much par for the course for me, even without the ‘help’ of any vaccination 😉

A low carb breakfast would do that to me too

But surely a low carb should not do that, especially after meds and 4 hours later?
It can. My body needs carbs to get going and my liver will dump sugar out to give me energy if it doesn’t get them.

What meds are you talking about.
What happened today.
More the concern is your high morning reading. Do you test either in bed or as soon as you get up to get a better idea of your fasting blood glucose.

Hi Wizzard I think all things need to be considered.

Possible the covid and flu jab may have impacted the immune response, which could result in higher reading than usual.
I wonder did you exercise after breakfast and before lunch I wonder, even just a short walk I have found can bring the blood glucose down some.

Hope your levels will stabilised soon. I don't think it hurts to have a small amount of carbs at breakfast. Maybe half an apple or banana maybe or even 1 or 2 dried prunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back