Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

premiere

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hopefully this is the right board.....and I must apologise for this very long post.

Last year (beginning) I was initially diagnosed as type 2 (and registered on the Diabetes register by my GP) which came as a real shock and told I would on Diet and Exercise only. I wasn't convinced with my initial GP's results (two tests over 7 (8.4 and 7.1 - a week apart), hba1c of 6.1 (done by the hospital) so queried this. I know this was probably denial, but I am a stubborn old git. They referred me to the Diabetes Lead GP in our practice who kindly organised an OGTT. This came back at 10 (6.0 when I got to hospital and 10 two hours after the drink) from the hospital. Although very high, not high enough to be declared Diabetic ( < 11.1 mmol) so I was removed from the Diabetes register and 'regraded' as Impaired Glucose Tolerance (Pre-Diabetes).

Admittedly the GP has advised me 'not to be a stranger' as they did not hold out much hope of me being able to over come the pre-diabetes and were sure I would fall over the fence into type 2.

I am now a gym nut have initially lost just over a stone in weight and am at the point of the following:

1. Immediately after waking, I take my levels (Aviva Nano) - Most days c6.0. Sometimes just under
2. 2 hours after eating approx 7ish or just under regardless of what I eat (except biscuits)
3. If I have a Mars Bar at work at say 2:30 - 3pm, by the time I get home at 5pm, I am usually about mid-4's but have been down lower.

My issue now is that I am either diabetic proper and am completely out of control or suffer hypoglycemia not diabetes as I get periods where I really feel very very unwell. I know hypoglycemia is low blood sugar and the reason I think this is I have more of these symptoms (below) that those of diabetes (or so I have read)

1. Blurred Vision
2. Anxiety
3. Feeling of impending doom
4. Feeling faint and dizzy. Symptoms go away and I am back to myself 15 mins after taking in sugar (chocolate, apple etc etc)
5. Confusion
6. Trembling
7. Mood swings/irritibility

I don't have thirst, wee wee problems. I get the issues above but more often than not I just suddenly feel very very unwell and ill, which does subside after a sugar load.

Help!...admittedly my diet leaves a bit to be desired.......

Last edited:
It might pay you to go back and have a chat with your doctor, and maybe ask to be refred to a dietician to help with your diet.

Unfortunately diabetes is not an exact science, and even experienced people find things that surprise them from time to time.

Some of your symptoms sound like a possible panic attack, but I am not a docotr and we all experience panic in different ways.

Your numbers sound pretty good between 4 & 7 and there are lots of folks who'd like to see 7! It is possible for type 2's to experience hypos, it depends when the last meal was eaten and wht the activity levels have been like. Sometimes even non diabetics have hypos because they haven't eaten for a long time and have been busy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back