confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kath Newman

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello, I was diagnosed with type 2 in early June (HBA1C 7.7 so not massively high) and put on metformin. I have reduced my carbs right down and bought myself a glucose test machine on the advice of people in this group. The advice from people in this group seems to be that my blood glucose should not increase much more than a couple of points 2 hours after eating.

I have just seen the Practice Nurse and shared my readings with her, I have been concerned about them as despite really reducing my carb intake (again at the helpful advice of people on this forum) they remain high after eating. for example 6.9 - 14.7, 7.8 - 14.8, 10 -16, 8.9 - 15.3 8.5 - 16.2 as well as a few better ones 8.1 - 10.5, 6.6 - 10.4). She really wasn't interested in them at all and suggested that only type 1 should be checking their bloods, or people on medication such as gliclazide. I explained that she had pointed me toward this group who recommended regular testing in the early days and that I remained concerned that my readings are 'spiking' so much and that I want to take control of my diabetes and reduce my blood sugars.

She eventually agreed to repeat my HBA1C and will then review my medication. I suspect most of her patients passively accept exactly what she says. My question today is am I right to be concerned about these readings?

My typical daily meals now are a breakfast of ham, cheese, strawberries and almonds, omelette or poached egg, mushrooms and bacon. Evening meal Chicken and Veg stew, Garlic & Lime Balti and brown rice (small portion), Grilled meats and salad or veg and stuffed peppers with salad or veg.

Sorry for long post...

I used to grow my own tomatoes and coriander to make balti - ate it without rice though.
I am an ordinary type two and my blood glucose readings are usually under 8, more often under 7 after eating low carb meals - those higher readings you are getting suggest that you might well be something more interesting and worthy of investigation.
At least you can keep an eye on your readings and I suggest that if the nurse is not interested in numbers in the teens, then maybe having a word with your GP should be the next step - though of course your Hba1c test might bring things to his attention as long as you can get a test done in the near future.

I'm not surprised you are puzzled but the high post meal increases as you certainly do seem to have reduced your carbs to very little. But your premeal levels are still quite high.
Very good suggestion for them to repeat the HbA1C.

Hi @Kath Newman Yes, I think you’re right to be concerned about those readings. Those are quite big jumps and you seem to be eating very few carbs. It’s good they’re repeating the HbA1C but I’d also ask if you could be Type 1/LADA. That can occur at any age and can come on more slowly in adults. I believe @rebrascora was initially misdiagnosed as Type 2 and is a similar age to yourself.

Thank you all for your replies. She did an HBA1C yesterday so hopefully the results won’t be long. I will try and speak to the doctor if I’m not happy (although at the moment that’s easier said than done).
I think I was disappointed that she was so uninterested and dismissive when everything I’ve read says regular testing is important and that readings 2 hours post eating shouldn’t still be raised .
Thank you again

Sorry to hear you had such a disheartening appointment @Kath Newman - must have been very frustrating for you.

Have you skipped meals entirely to see what happen during a period of fasting? Do your levels rise, even without eating anything?

I agree with others, those are unexpectedly large rises, from low carb meals.

It does sound like it would be helpful to rule out T1 or LADA just in case your low carb eating is masking your reduced insulin output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back