1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Confused

Discussion in 'Newbies say hello here!' started by Cutie32NI, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Cutie32NI

Cutie32NI Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 2
    I was diagnosed last week after sugar found in Urine. Doctor called and advised I was to go on Metformin and wait for an appointment to see the nurse.
    I have started Metformin and drastically changed my diet.
    Just got call for appointment and cant get one until the 19th. 20 mins with doctor and 20 minutes with the nurse.

My heads just spinning since I got diagnosis. I have no idea what my sugar levels are at. Should I go buy a monitor?

Does anyone know what the appointment entails?

2. Docb

Docb Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Don't panic, at least until you know you have something to panic about! Your GP/DN are happy to wait a couple of weeks before seeing you so they are not panicking.

Your appointments are most likely going to entail ordering up some blood tests, doing some basic health checks and talking about what you need to do to get back on track. In the mean time, read around this forum and the main website to get yourself aquainted with the basics. That way you can have a better conversation with them in your appointments. Getting sorted is a long term objective and you need to get a plan sorted out and you cannot do that without getting some basic data so you know where you are starting from and where you want to get to. Personally I would not worry about a meter until you have got those appointments, and any follow ups to look at test results, out of the way.

Your world has not ended, just changed a bit! ;)

KARNAK likes this.
  3. SueEK

SueEK Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Hello and welcome, it does come as a huge shock to most people and certainly takes a time to get your head around it, I personally went into denial mode. As Docb says until you have had your appointment and your results it will be difficult to know where you are starting from, look around the site and write down straight away any questions you will need to ask the doctor and DN or you will forget.
    There is loads of useful information here and feel free to ask anything at all, we all help each other and there is a wealth of experience here.
    Depending on your HbA1c result will depend on how much you need to change your diet, sometimes it just needs tweaking but like mine it needed a good overhaul and some find it more difficult than others. Please let us know how you get on and we can then give you advice more personal to your circumstances but if you have any specific questions just go ahead and ask x

KARNAK and Veenorthants like this.
  4. Anitram

Anitram Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Hi. Welcome to the forum.

Have you had a blood test or is your diagnosis based purely on elevated glucose levels in your urine?

Martin

5. Drummer

Drummer Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Depending on the medication prescribed after your appointments you might be given a meter and test strips supplied.
    I believe that you don't get a positive urine test if your blood glucose is below 10mmol/l - I have never had a positive as I went low carb at once and it has worked very well for me.
    Advice and treatment varies greatly - some people get appointments with their GPs and nurses automatically and others (like me) are left to get on with it. Luckily that was good enough for me, and it has worked out.
    It is rather a long time to your appointments though - you could be well on your way back to normal by then - though that might be no bad thing, except a diagnosis of diabetes ought to bring you checks for your eyes and feet and you will be able to get meter and strips free of VAT - if you need them.

6. CathyB

CathyB Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Hi and welcome, like the others have said, try not to be too anxious, they wouldn’t be willing to wait to see you if it was bad news :confused: take a deep breath, read as much as you can from the forum and write down all your questions ready for your appointment :D

7. rebrascora

rebrascora Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Hi and welcome
    I believe you are entitled to know the result of any tests, so you may be able to ring up and ask for your reading ahead of your appointment if you are particularly anxious about it.
    Did your diagnosis come about as a result of being symptomatic? ie thirsty and weeing lots or perhaps a urinary infection. These symptoms will usually occur if your BG is significantly high. Many of us here have been diagnosed with very high readings and mine certainly remained very high for 6 weeks after diagnosis whilst they tried to treat me with oral meds... Metformin and Gliclazide and strict diet.... before they eventually realised that insulin was necessary. Hopefully your levels will show some improvement as a result of the treatment and diet change by the time you see the Dr and nurse, but if not make them aware of the dietary changes you have made and perhaps ask them to consider that you may be a late onset Type 1 diabetic.
    With diet change. you need to drastically reduce not only sweet stuff but starchy carbs like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes as well as fruit. Keeping a food diary can be helpful to enable you to show the Dr or nurse what you have been eating in this interim period. If your BG is really high, they may supply you with a BG meter and strips, so depending upon your personal finances, it may be worth waiting until after your appointment, but they are not very expensive to buy (approx £15 for a meter and £8-£20 for a pot of 50 strips depending upon which model/brand you get) so perhaps a worthwhile investment to get you ahead of the game with your apt being some time away.

8. Oslo65

Oslo65 Member

Type 1
    Evening Cutie32n,

Yup it does feel overwhelming but Docb is spot on if your GP and DN were that worried you’d be in by now!

At present your brain is completely overwhelmed and jumping to all sorts of conclusions that probably don’t make any sense. Because you’ve limited time with them write everything down as it comes into your head and prioritise your list as to what you need from them. Take that list in with you and write the response under each header because that 20 mins will fly !
    After that start working through the follow up questions your going to have

Please keep us posted

Take Care

Oslo

9. Cutie32NI

Cutie32NI Member

Type 2
    Had appointment today my HbA1c was 103 and fasting blood sugar was 15. I have been put on Metformin twice a day. Cholesterol 6.3 and Blood Pressure 133/85.
    Nurse gave me a sheet of foods and at the bottom it says "these are recommended for patients without diabetes" :/
    I have changed my diet for the past 2 weeks and have lost 1 stone so its working at least.
    They will reset HbA1c in 4 months. I was not given a monitor as they only give to people on medication that may cause Hypos, nurse recommended buying one to check how different foods show.
    They will arrange all appointments needed for eyes, feet, etc

10. Anitram

Type 2
    Another example of the NHS postcode lottery. You get Metformin but no meter. I get Metformin and told to stop at Reception on my way out and pick up a meter, and I get my lancets and test strips on prescription too.

Makes no sense.

Martin

11. Cutie32NI

Cutie32NI Member

Type 2
    My partners dad goes to the doctor in the nearest town and he gets all on prescription. Totally makes no sense, he's going to see if he can get me one.

12. SueEK

SueEK Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Glad you have had your appointment and although they wouldn’t give you a meter at least your DN approves of them which is good. I would definitely suggest you get one as they really can highlight your good and bad interactions with food. I guess by now you have seen what most of us suggest in the way of Diet and as your HbA1c is rather high an overhaul is needed, though sounds like you are doing this already. The Metformin will definitely help and if you can fit in any sort of exercise at all that will also be beneficial. There are bound to be things you are not sure about in the coming months so feel free to post as we are all willing to help, we have all been in the position you are in now. Take care and well done on losing a stone already, that is amazing but don’t starve yourself xx

13. Cutie32NI

Cutie32NI Member

Type 2
    Not starving at all just trying to keep Carbs per meal under 50g. My diet before was pretty much just sugar and carbs. Need to read up on ideas to satisfy my sweet tooth :)

14. Anitram

Type 2
    If you have an ALDI try their gluten free nut bars with dark chocolate and sea salt. Only 5.9g carb per bar. Satisfied my sweet tooth, although I never have more than one a day.

Martin

KARNAK and CathyB like this.
  15. SueEK

SueEK Well-Known Member

Type 2
    I buy Lindt 85% dark chocolate and have two chunks a day, I don’t have a sweet tooth but since being diagnosed just need to have a little sweetness and it works out low in carbs. Unfortunately my diet was also carbs, carbs, carbs so have had to do a lot of changing.

16. Nomad722

Nomad722 Well-Known Member

Other Type
    Hi Cutie32NI, Welcome to the forum, you will find plenty of friends and a good deal of help. There are also support groups in many areas.

17. Cutie32NI

Cutie32NI Member

Type 2
    First test was 5.7 :)
    I tried the dark lindt can't stomach it

18. KARNAK

KARNAK Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Hello @Cutie32NI welcome to the forum.:) 5.7 is a great figure, 50 grams a meal seems to be working for you. HbA1c is very high as is your cholesterol, stay doing what you are already doing and let us know what your next results are, take care our friend, we are here for you.

SueEK likes this.
  19. CathyB

CathyB Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Just wanted to say thank you, I bought some of these today, SO yummy

SueEK and Anitram like this.
  20. rebrascora

rebrascora Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Too yummy! I have desperate trouble stopping at just one, even though they are very satisfying to eat because they take a lot of chewing.

CathyB likes this.