Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizzieK

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
In addition to being diagnosed as pre-diabetic I have recently been diagnosed as having high cholesterol. I saw a site which talked about controlling the latter and mentioned The Portfolio Diet. The problem for me as I see it is that the eating guidelines for this diet varies considerably with what I know to be sensible for my pre-diabetes.
Does anyone have any advice on how I can combine the two eating plans.

I hadn’t heard of the Portfolio diet so I googled (below). It sounds as if you could easily adapt it to suit you, eg concentrate on less carby foods or have small portions.

The concept of the Portfolio Diet is straightforward. Simply replace certain foods in your diet with other ingredients that have been shown to lower cholesterol levels.

For example, replace meat and dairy with soy protein like tofu, tempeh, soy milk, and soy-based deli meats or burgers.

Instead of using butter, the Portfolio Diet encourages using margarine enriched with plant sterols. Plant sterols are naturally occurring plant compounds shown to reduce your body’s absorption of cholesterol (1Trusted Source).

Your diet should also include at least one serving of tree nuts per day, such as almonds, walnuts, or pistachios.

Additionally, the Portfolio Diet promotes foods high in soluble fiber. Soluble fiber absorbs water and forms a thick, gel-like substance in your digestive tract. It can improve digestion, lower cholesterol levels, and reduce blood sugar spikes (2Trusted Source).

Fruits, vegetables, oats, legumes, and flaxseed are a few examples of foods rich in soluble fiber.

Here’s how much of each component you should aim to eat per day:

• Soy protein: 35 grams
  • Plant sterols: 2 grams
  • Nuts: 1 handful, or about 23 almonds
  • Soluble fiber: 18 grams

My cholesterol was marginally high at diagnosis but not high enough to warrant medication. I'm not familiar with the Portfolio Diet but as it happens my diet includes some of their recommendations, eg I eat nuts everyday (though not the 3 mentioned, but all nuts are low in saturated fat and high in unsaturated (the 'good' fat). I have plant-based Greek yoghurt, eat lots of fruit (mostly berries), vegetables and salads and I use Benecol (the drink and the spread).

I track my carbs to try and stay below 130g per day and also my saturated fat to stay with the current RDA, but it can be a bit of a juggle some days.

My last bloods showed no issues with cholesterol.

Thank you both so much for your input. I think I was in panic mode when it seems that sensible eating can help both problems.

My cholesterol was marginally high at diagnosis but not high enough to warrant medication. I'm not familiar with the Portfolio Diet but as it happens my diet includes some of their recommendations, eg I eat nuts everyday (though not the 3 mentioned, but all nuts are low in saturated fat and high in unsaturated (the 'good' fat). I have plant-based Greek yoghurt, eat lots of fruit (mostly berries), vegetables and salads and I use Benecol (the drink and the spread).

I track my carbs to try and stay below 130g per day and also my saturated fat to stay with the current RDA, but it can be a bit of a juggle some days.

My last bloods showed no issues with cholesterol.
Thank you so much for helping me to make sense of this….Can you tell me what plant based yogurt you choose?

Thank you so much for helping me to make sense of this….Can you tell me what plant based yogurt you choose?
I have Alpro Greek Style Plain yogurt. It has around a tenth of the saturated fat of dairy versions.

My cholesterol was higher than my diabetic nurse wanted but I resisted statins. I was hoping that losing weight and getting the diabetes under control would also sort out the cholesterol and it has.

I’ve followed a low carb approach and I know it’s not for everyone but it’s certainly worked for me.

My cholesterol was higher than my diabetic nurse wanted but I resisted statins. I was hoping that losing weight and getting the diabetes under control would also sort out the cholesterol and it has.

I’ve followed a low carb approach and I know it’s not for everyone but it’s certainly worked for me.
Deb_I…..This sounds like me. I was recommended statins but am not keen to go on that route. This is why I am keen to stick to my diabetic eating plan while getting my cholesterol under control too. Your post is very encouraging….🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back