confused with levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssassin1642

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
ok, so over the past few days, I've noticed a few strange things going on with levels/ratios.

Yesterday with dinner, instead of 12u for my spag bol, i only needed 6u - I'm going on a ratio of 1:8. I can't remember the exact carb count.

This evening it was pasta bake - and I started out on 4.1 after another hypo of 3.1- it did have creamy sauce and cheese. But 8u later and I'm still at 5.2 :confused: We ate dinner two hours ago almost exactly. I did rise to 8.3 at 9.30 :confused: The carbs worked out as 128, again on a ratio of 1:8 it worked out as 16u. admittedly this *could* be the cheese and stuff playing havok but well, I'm very confused. The rest of the day, levels are just as wierd. Bfast ratio seems off, 7u for the usual 30g of porridge leaves me with an 11 or so two hours after (1:6 ratio), lunch time is also wierd...levels all over the place with highs sometimes and other times lows afterwards. I just don't get it.

I don't know what's going on!!! My first thought was "eek, what if I'm pregnant?, how would that affect levels?" but then sense took over, we are way too careful.

Could it be the warmer weather? Or what? My hypo's seem to be back to at least two a day again, one earlier 2.1 that I didn't even notice.

I'm stumped. Any suggestions

There is some talk of insulin requirements changing according to the seasons. It sort of makes sense - it is warmer generally, and possibly more significantly there is more natural light and longer days. As insulin is just one factor in our endocrine systems, perhaps an increase of other hormones has an effect on the amount of insulin we need? Pregnancy seems to have the same effect when other hormones change significantly. Although I've never been pregnant, I am very influenced by the seasons and my requirements dipped a LOT last April. Too early to say whether they might fall still further this year.

That was probably a load of nonsense, I realise! 🙂 Sam, you and loubie should get together with all this insulin malarkey!😱

There is some talk of insulin requirements changing according to the seasons. It sort of makes sense - it is warmer generally, and possibly more significantly there is more natural light and longer days. As insulin is just one factor in our endocrine systems, perhaps an increase of other hormones has an effect on the amount of insulin we need? Pregnancy seems to have the same effect when other hormones change significantly. Although I've never been pregnant, I am very influenced by the seasons and my requirements dipped a LOT last April. Too early to say whether they might fall still further this year.

That was probably a load of nonsense, I realise! 🙂 Sam, you and loubie should get together with all this insulin malarkey!😱

LOL northe, I think you would make a fine mummy :D

Hmmm, I'm wondering whether it may be worth doing one of the dreaded tests. It's all very bizaare. Yet it could be something to do with the fact I'm not actually going anything at the moment? I mean, no job and not keeping active and so on and so forth?

This is very confusing :confused:

dreaded test = basal test? is that the one where you don't eat for like...hours and hours and hours and hours?

but basal is perfect. 18u, nursey and I worked it out together...I know I suffer from the DP but thats a different matter entirely :confused:

Hi Sam,

Here are my thoughts. I know you know far more about T1 with your 14 years experience than I have. I can only hope there may be a glimmer of truth in what I'll say.

I found if I eat breakfast I don't get the glucose dump. If I miss it my BG shoots up.

You're having porridge for breakfast so that should stop the glucose dump, reduce the risk of a hypo coz the slow release of carbs.

Pasta is a pain in the ar*e for lots of people. Split bolus comes to mind. It's just working out the amounts to avoid hypos. I would do lots of testing to see where the peak really is. My friend's lad had a fixed amount (a ready meal) and tested every 15 minutes for 5 hours and found his peak. He now splits his bolus, after working it out with his DSN.

Would you consider this crazy suggestion... Porridge is slow and evenly digested. If you know how you get on with porridge, would you think about trying it for an evening meal and intensively test to accurately find your peak? My logic is you know your morning ratio for porridge, you know your evening ratio so perhaps you could try porridge with your evening ratio. As you know, if your basal is OK, and your bolus ratio is correct then your BG should be about the same after as it is before eating when your bolus has run out.

Sorry it I'm talking a load of bo**ocks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back