Confused by blood test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karlisa66

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone can shed any light on this for me. I was diagnosed in August with T2 and on Monday went for 3 month blood tests which included Hba1c test….or so I thought. When I got there the nurse asked if i had fasted, which I thought was strange, but had an early morning appointment so hadn’t eaten.

The results are showing on the NHS app and it just says Fasting Plasma 8 and satisfactory. Any idea what use this is as I’m assuming it’s just like the morning finger prick test and wonder why they haven’t done the Hba1c test which would be more useful.

I tried to book a telephone appointment on the app so I could ask the GP, but no appointments were available in the next 16 weeks.

It’s so frustrating and disappointing as I have been trying really hard and have no idea if I’m improving as my fasting level in a morning is always higher than the rest of the day.

I must admit that doesn't make sense, it certainly doesn't sound as if it was an HbA1C test as the result would be in mmol/mol or if they are still using old units %.
The HbA1C doesn't need to be fasting but sometimes if other tests are done at the same time like a Lipid or Cholesterol profile then maybe they would ask for it to be fasting.
If it doesn't mention glucose and give units I'm not sure what it would be.
Morning finger pricks are often the last to come down.

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone can shed any light on this for me. I was diagnosed in August with T2 and on Monday went for 3 month blood tests which included Hba1c test….or so I thought. When I got there the nurse asked if i had fasted, which I thought was strange, but had an early morning appointment so hadn’t eaten.

The results are showing on the NHS app and it just says Fasting Plasma 8 and satisfactory. Any idea what use this is as I’m assuming it’s just like the morning finger prick test and wonder why they haven’t done the Hba1c test which would be more useful.

I tried to book a telephone appointment on the app so I could ask the GP, but no appointments were available in the next 16 weeks.

It’s so frustrating and disappointing as I have been trying really hard and have no idea if I’m improving as my fasting level in a morning is always higher than the rest of the day.
It does sound like a fasting glucose (like the fingerprick) rather than an hba1c.

Could the result of the hba1c is delayed for some reason? This can be because the dr hasn’t had sight of it before it’s posted or the lab was a bit slow.

Also the app for my surgery doesn’t do appointments and always shows as none available. We have to contact the surgery directly or do an econsult to get an appointment. Could your practice be like that? I’d definitely follow it up with a phone call or econsult if the result doesn’t appear in the next few days.

A fasting plasma glucose test does require a blood sample to be taken from the arm. I had one a week after my diagnosis. I was told by my GP that the result was 20.5, while my HbA1c a week earlier was 114, and results are posted in mmol/l, as explained here:-

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your responses, it appears I was a bit to eager and the app is now showing 2 results.
fasting blood plasma 8mmol/l
Hba1c 48

so very happy with that, down from 82 to 48 in 3months.

just hoping the other blood test comes back ok now, which I think is for cholesterol and to check liver, kidneys etc.

It does sound like a fasting glucose (like the fingerprick) rather than an hba1c.

Could the result of the hba1c is delayed for some reason? This can be because the dr hasn’t had sight of it before it’s posted or the lab was a bit slow.

Also the app for my surgery doesn’t do appointments and always shows as none available. We have to contact the surgery directly or do an econsult to get an appointment. Could your practice be like that? I’d definitely follow it up with a phone call or econsult if the result doesn’t appear in the next few days.
You reply was spot on, just delayed and now showing on the app.

Many congratulations. That is a really excellent reduction in HbA1c. Well done!

Thank you everyone for your responses, it appears I was a bit to eager and the app is now showing 2 results.
Hba1c 48

just hoping the other blood test comes back ok now, which I think is for cholesterol and to check liver, kidneys etc.
Yep the results don’t always come through together, I learnt this the same way as you, felt a bit stressful that they don’t let you know this. Glad you have your results now.

Hba1c 48

A fasting blood plasma of 8 and an HbA1c of 48 are pretty much the same thing, just in different units. Well done with that drop over 3 months. You have every right to be happy with that. Hopefully your other results will be as good, and your HbA1c will have dropped further next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back