confused about hypos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sophieee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Since being diagnosed at the age of 9, I've ALWAYS been able to tell when I was going hypo, apart from a few (very rare) when it was my mum who noticed. But since I've been running so high for so long, and I'm finally getting my bloods down again, I've been hypo about 7 times in the last 3 days, and I've not been able to tell at all :( I don't understand it, and quite frankly it's SCARY!! Could this have anything to do with me running high for so long?

Generally if you've been having high levels for a while you'd expect to feel lower numbers sooner, as it's so different to how your body is used to feeling. However if you've had a lot of hypos in quick succession that could be why you're not feeling them. When I've gone through several days of very low numbers I've found my hypo awareness has decreased very rapidly.

My hypo awareness has changed since I went on insulin. Before I used to get hypo symptoms when I went under 4 but since I've been on insulin I don't get any symptoms until I'm in the very low 3's.

Since being diagnosed at the age of 9, I've ALWAYS been able to tell when I was going hypo, apart from a few (very rare) when it was my mum who noticed. But since I've been running so high for so long, and I'm finally getting my bloods down again, I've been hypo about 7 times in the last 3 days, and I've not been able to tell at all :( I don't understand it, and quite frankly it's SCARY!! Could this have anything to do with me running high for so long?

hi there,
loss of hypo symptoms is generally said to be caused by tight control ( which seems unfair, as though you are damned if you do and damned if you don't).
it's a well known feature that bsome T1s beat by changing insulins ....
here's B'ham's take on it ....
http://medweb.bham.ac.uk/easdec/prevention/hypos.htm#losing

agree with what aymes says, so this could be that you have had a few in succession. personally I would run a little higher for a couple of days, the hypo awareness should return quite rapidly then. But as always speak to a professional for their advice first! 😉

Oh Sophie you are going through it. It could be that having so many in quick succession your brain is turning the signal off. Have a word with your GP, I know you don't really want to but he/she will probably be pleased to see that you are actively trying to get on top of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back