Confused about exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanettevagg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

I’m confused, T2 on no medication, Hba1c in March 93, June 55 and due a repeat. For the last two weeks I have added exercise, swimming at least 3 times a week for 45 mins and my average glucose over the last couple of months was apparently 6.5mmols. Since adding exercise it has now increased to average of 6.9-7 mmols which I don’t get as I thought exercise was meant to help lower your levels. Any help out there. As I’m not on medication I can’t do anything I’m already on a low carb diet, usually 30-40 gms a day ????

If those are results from a finger prick then 6.5, 6.9 and 7 are all the same as monitors have a variation allowed.
Often people find intense exercise can increase blood glucose as the liver releases glucose to give you energy and this may be the case with a pretty low carb dietary regime.
It can all depend on when you are taking your spot readings.

I’m taking the readings before and two hours after lunch and dinner, then exercising in between these two meals

That's a nice reduction from March to June. Well done. Hopefully your September go in the same direction. Fingers crossed.

Well done on your terrific HbA1c reduction @jeanettevagg

As @Leadinglights says, home BG meters have an allowable margin for error which make their decimal point readings a little more ‘ish’ than they perhaps appear.

This chart shows the upper and lower limits of results which can be presented from whatever your actual reading is.

1661547653697.png
So while the results are still workable and useful, you have to be cautious about drawing conclusions from minor decimal point differences 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back