Confused about diet options and ow it all fits together, in summary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essex

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

I am now understanding much more and have got my symptoms (mostly hypo-line) and BG (prick tests) more under control

But, I have now reached 'information overload' :D

Lots of advice and specific actions but I am having trouble 'putting it all together'

I think I am looking for a succinct, half-page summary or 'index' of the main various options / aspects of this Type 2 diet thingy
I realise that a summary wont include all info, but its possible to give a general 'map'

Here's what I think I understand so far (as a 'just on the wrong side of the tracks' Type 2)

I should:
  • 'watch my diet'
  • 'Eat healthily'
OK, but, that's a bit vague for my liking ...

So ..

1. BG control &/or staying alive
What of the dietry advice available is to:
(a) keep my BG levels in check (e.g. not too much carbs and slow acting G release, avoid refined sugar etc?)
(b) Since high BG makes all the normal suspects (heart disease etc) more likely I should further reduce my risks (e.g. less red meat etc?)

Probably there are crossovers between (a) and (b) above, but is there, in general, this kind of split for diet advice??

2. What are my options for controling my BG?
I hear of
(i) Low-carb, and
(ii) 'keto' diets

Are these two alternative strategies?
If so what are the pros and cons of each?
Are there other options?

There seems to be lots of bits of info but no one 'landing page' to explain the overall fitting together of all the bits and pieces
Probably there is but I havent found it

I'm not just talking about this site.

I am tending to stick to this site as I trust it, but there is a wealth of advice from Scientists to Astrologist out there, and its not always easy to distinguish the type of source :D

Thanks,

This is a wonderful forum

Hi. I think you are overthinking the options for a good blood sugar controlled diet. The simple approach is to just reduce the carbs. Call it what you like. As all sugar is a carb you don't need to think sugar - just all carbs. Don't worry too much about low-GI carbs as they are also just carbs probably with a bit more fibre which is good. The red meat thing assumes the body sends saturated fat straight into the blood stream which it doesn't; carbs are far more easily stored as fat by the body than the fats you eat.

Thanks @DaveB
If overthinking was in the olympics ....
I have reduced carbs and my BG 's seem to be stabilising - At least I havent seen an out of range value for a week or so, although my initial frenzy of tests has slowed now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back