Confused about cereals!!! and general package details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

very confused.com

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, new to this I have just started the 3 month food plan. Not overweight at all and healthy in every other way!! It hasn't been confirmed to me that I am type 2 just that my blood sugars are high so trying to reverse my high count. One blog says ok to eat certain foods others say no???? The packaging is not too hard to follow and I have a healthy diet as well so think I need just to tweak a few things ie rice, bread going to wholemeal etc.

Hi all, new to this I have just started the 3 month food plan. Not overweight at all and healthy in every other way!! It hasn't been confirmed to me that I am type 2 just that my blood sugars are high so trying to reverse my high count. One blog says ok to eat certain foods others say no???? The packaging is not too hard to follow and I have a healthy diet as well so think I need just to tweak a few things ie rice, bread going to wholemeal etc.
Welcome to the forum. Finding out what the actual result is of your HbA1C is important not just high as there is a threshold of anything over 47mmol/mol that will give you a diagnosis of diabetes. Depending on how far above that will give you an indication of how much work you need to do. If in the prediabetic 42-47mmol/mol then you still need to make changes but more modest ones should help.
Look at the total carbohydrates not just the as sugar as all carbohydrates convert to glucose and wholemeal, whole wheat brown versions are just as many carbs as white but in some people convert to glucose more slowly so they are food that people avoid or only have in small portions or occasionally.
The big hitters for carbs are potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, breakfast cereals as well as the more obvious cakes, biscuits and sugary drinks including fruit juice.
Reducing carbs but making sure you have protein and healthy fats will help maintain your weight if you don't need to lose any.
The trouble is that people's tolerance to carbs is different and no one size fits all so giving a definitive plan that works for everyone is difficult. The best way is for you to have a home testing blood glucose monitor so you can find your own tolerance by testing your meals, before you eat and after 2 hours aiming at no more than 2-3mmol/l increase of no more than 8-8.5mmol/l post meal. Also the aim is 4-7mmol/l before meals/fasting morning.
Have a look at this link to see how it compares to the 'plan' you are on. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Some of the NHS plans do people no favours as they are still too high in carbs for many to tolerate.

Edited to add. I have just seen you posted your HbA1C as 46 in the other thread so some modest changes should be all that is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back